Buttons, are they necessarily dangerous?

by White Dove 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

My goodness, good thread!

• Shador
    Shador
    Shador,
    You Satanist, you!
    I love it!

Thank you. I accept your comment's spirit.

However, I must state, lest any get the wrong idea, that the reason for the disclaimers was precisely because I do not identify as a Satanist. I found those particular rules to be in accord with Nature. But there are other aspects of the dark path that I disagree with.

• White Dove
    White Dove

New Chapter,

Same here. I went through that crap for a over a whole year while pioneering with a car load of bitches just like that, except they were much too SR to apologize.

Shador,

I was joking. I understood

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Only if someone pushes the wrong one.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Ahhh I thought this was Amishness, buttons are of the devil

• N.drew
    N.drew

Berengaria hi! Me too! Buttons, huh? I have thousands of buttons, all different. I watched an old glass button sell on ebay for $1,500. Don't throw away your old tins of buttons! Some of them are collectible.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Dudette!! OMG, my mom has an old tin full. I will have to look at them.

Isn't it amazing how cheap our stuff is now?? No one is ever going to collect that crap.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Slightly off-topic, dear WD (peace to you, dear one!)... but still about buttons (because I am absolutely FASCINATED by some aspects of this subject):

Has anyone noticed how (at least in the U.S.) we are absolutely obsessed with pushing buttons? Technically AND literally? Re literal button pushing: ever notice how people who ring for/get on the elevator almost HAVE to push the button themselves? True, some will say their floor, but usually only if they can't actually reach the buttons without too much effort. Some, though, will literally reach over others to push their own floor. Some actually enter the cab with fingers extended, at the ready!

Even when ringing for the elevator: the button can already be lit, yet someone will re-push it. Often times, unconsciously. They just walk over and have to "touch" it. Sometimes they look right at it, see it lit, but push it again anyway.

And I've put it to the test. I've pushed for both "up" and "down"... then stood back to see how many others would "re-push." Many. Most. I've even got on an elevator and stood back and watched: people going to the same floor as a button already lit up STILL had to repush that floor's button! Once (or twice), I got on and pushed ALL of the buttons... so that ALL were lit up. Folks STILL had to repush their particular floor button. Fascinating...

And look at all of the buttons in cars, on walls, doors, consoles, phones, electronics, and much more! Look at how "cockpits" are recreated in vehicle cabins - the more buttons, the merrier! We like to click once, twice, halfway, all the way, turn, dial, reset, push in, pull out... anything that the tips of our fingers can get them to do!

We are INDUNATED with buttons in our society... and I think has something to do with the "need" in our culture to "push"... something. Literal buttons... as well as other peoples' "buttons", as suggested by the OP.

Due to my recognition of this... "need" (and my stint in the WTBTS)... I've kind of learned to "steel" myself: whether as to others [trying to push] my "buttons"... or almost knocking me over to push an elevator button. I just figure neither can really "help" it...

Okay, done... and sorry for the sidebar...

Peace!

SA, on her own...

• N.drew
    N.drew

OK, interesting AGuest. Did you see Contagion the movie? See if people don't stop touching everything.

Just to be on topic, here's another button. When you get blamed for doing what the blamer is doing, but you didn't do it, they did.

• Scully
    Scully

I don't know if "dangerous" is how I'd describe my 'buttons'.

Having teenagers has seen me through some difficult moments with kids pushing my buttons. Having been a JW also implanted some really stupid buttons in my psyche - like an unreasonable aversion/sensitivity to tobacco use by other people. It's an ongoing process.

The other day, a coworker delegated me to do something to help her. The thing is, I had stuff to do that conflicted with her needs at the time. Still, I tried to accommodate her request. The next thing I know, she's bitching me out (in front of a patient, no less) because, according to her, I was doing something that wasn't a priority. So I'm thinking, why the hell did I bother helping her? Rather than respond to her button-pushing in kind, I told her "Let's not discuss this in front of a patient." It shut her down because she was the one who was behaving unprofessionally at that point. I was fuming inside though, and for the remainder of the shift she was giving me the cold shoulder and dirty looks. I don't do well around people who behave in a passive-aggressive way like that, asking for my help and then biting my head off when I do as they ask. I don't work with this coworker again until next week, but I'm already aware that she likes to hang on to grudges, so it should be interesting.

The thing is, when people are knowingly pushing your buttons, or trying to get a rise out of you, it's a psychological game for them. They want that instant reaction, because it justifies the way they've been treating you, or demeaning you.

When I find myself getting annoyed with someone I try to keep my thoughts to myself, rather than blurt out something regrettable in the heat of the moment. It's taken lots of practice, but I'm getting better at it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit