Prediction: Expect a change in Study Edition distribution

by baltar447 18 Replies latest jw friends

• factfinder
    factfinder

Having the study edition available to the public online shows it is not a secret edition.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Having the study edition available to the public online shows it is not a secret edition.

Plus they have learned that there are NO secrets.

DOC

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Nah, not a chance!

The WTBTS can't even keep the letters to 'The Entire Body Of Elders' confidential let alone trying to control who gets the Watchtower Study edition and when. That's the beauty of the information age, the Internet.

There are too many moles, double agents, informers and what have you in the belly of the beast!

Thank you Atlantis, Anonymous, Marvin and tons of others who are keeping us informed.

What the hell I received, via this forum, the new Elders' Manual before the Elders in my congregation did!

Sorry WTBTS here is a truth that is coming back to bite you in the ass..............'But there is nothing carefully concealed that will not be revealed, and secret that will not become known.' (Luke 12:2)

• ziddina
    ziddina

Mmmm...

I dunno...

I like being able to read the pdf online. But removing free and open access to that, would be the sort of half-arssed "security" measure that those technology-limited minds would come up with...

Zid

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Considering the aging population of JWs, making the WT study edition only available via the net would be a crazy idea.

Like Nugget said, can you imagine the number of "I've lost/can't remember my password" type calls they'd have to field from 60-somethings and older who aren't internet savvy?

The only way they could feasibly do it was make it a requirement for the elders to obtain them online and then print them off, and then distribute them to the R&F. But that would mean at least one of the elders to be internet savvy enough to do it, not to mention having the internet connected, have a printer and plenty of paper to print the WT study editions. Would the elder be expected to pay for all that or could he be recompensed for his expenses?

• bafh
    bafh

But that would mean at least one of the elders to be internet savvy enough to do it, not to mention having the internet connected, have a printer and plenty of paper to print the WT study editions. Would the elder be expected to pay for all that or could he be recompensed for his expenses?

It's so much more cost effective to run it through their massive presses than to reimburse people individually for going to Kinkos. Yikes. That'll take a chunk out of their profits for sure. I just don't think they'll do it. When I toured Bethel last year and asked about why they don't just put everything online, they said it was because most of the world doesn't even have internet access.

So, I don't see it going all digital any time soon.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What I think they might attempt is to cut off the online version altogether, except for hounders that are distributing copies to home-bound witlesses that cannot make the boasting sessions (and then they would need a real good explanation). Each Kingdumb Hell would get a consignment of Kool-Aid rags that would be sufficient for each publisher, and they would be checked out so each one can be tracked. Anyone getting out of line would be required to surrender their copy of the Kool-Aid rag.

I also expect them to play hardball with "copyright laws" against anyone posting parts of the Kool-Aid rags online. If anyone copies paragraphs (even with commentaries), they could start suing those responsible for dissemination of this information to the public. This includes anyone producing actual paragraph quotes copied onto a device from the Kingdumb Hell and then copied and posted online at home. Additionally, recording devices will be forbidden at the boasting sessions (preventing anyone wishing to archive the boasting sessions from doing so). Anyone caught recording a boasting session would be subject to having the device confiscated and erases, and would face a lawsuit against copyright laws if such recordings are later found posted online.

Hopefully, doing this will be a nightmare. I hope that, with their resources already stretched thin, doing this will result in other issues going unanswered to. Hopefully, it will be things like comments that ruin the intent of the articles, putting rubbish in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund (including notes that have become worthless), people showing up inappropriately dressed (as in, comfortably), having people coming in with Nintendo DS and similar devices and spending more time trading Pokemon than listening to the talks, and more "brazen conduct" incidents not being addressed because they are worried about these copyright "infringements".

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I believe that study edition & the public edition will become 1 again, with the contrivercial shit being dispensed by talk only in the midweek meetings, with reader only having access to the info via ipad with a 1 time only access to the prewriten speach.

just my thoughts

FSP

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Everyone's password would be 1914. Just like the security systems in every kh in the usa....LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit