Texas Prisons End Special Last Meals For Inmates Facing Execution

by Bangalore 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

When they used the electric chair for executions the "last meal" would leave a huge mess to clean up afterwards.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Sorry, Sammies, but OMG,,, we are MURDERING THEM

------

What I meant was that - all things considered, let them have the last meal. At that point, all this nonsense and noise about the cost of a last meal being a waste and saving money and all that stuff - or the reason being they don't deserve it - or because they abused it...it's not logical.

I believe that if you choose to use a system whereby you are paying 8 billion dollars to warehouse someone for 60 years - using any argument after that makes no sense. The debate on the death penalty for serial killers is a separate issue.

The US prison system is made up of about 80% non violent offenders - most of those involved in drugs. They have the highest rate of incarceration in the world. The prisons also, along with about 2 other countries, are used as low priced labour for private corporations. Let's be clear, any criminal record will result in you not being able to get a passport, perhaps travel, get a job etc...and the more people put in prison for minor offences means the more people imprisoned for life inside the United States.

Warehousing is profitable.

sammies

• ssn587
    ssn587

I for myself think it is inhumane to have tax payers support those on death row, or even those in prison, why should we as a society have to have money taken from us to support those who have taken from us? To me it just doesn't make sense to have part of the taxes i pay to help support those in prison that means i am being punished for something I didn't do, and its taken from me/us to support those who commit crimes. I have no sympathy for them at all. You murder, steal, maim, whatever then you don't deserve a damn thing from those of us still out here in society.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I don't think the same way as you do ssn.

I would rather a public prison system or a non profit system where it is NOT profitable to warehouse human beings. A for profit system means you have to keep your client base up and growing - no clients using your facility, no profit. The numbers drop, make up more laws or give the system more power to maintain the current base. If there is no profit to be made, then one would think that the powers that be would begin to look at the laws that are used to put people there or examine the whys of so many people breaking the laws.

I also don't think that a person who steals a bicycle is in any way equal to someone who would commit rape or murder.

I don't have a clue how to improve any prison system, but in the case of a last meal - I say give the prisoner what he wants. Tomorrow by the laws of your land, he won't bother anybody ever again. sammies

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I don't doubt it. With the number of executions they do in Texas, it must be costing them a bundle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit