Texas Prisons End Special Last Meals For Inmates Facing Execution

by Bangalore 24 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
  • talesin
    talesin

lol!!! it posted 3 times, and let me tell you,,, I did NOT mean to impose that on you!

xx to sammies, , I am sorry if anything sounded harsh, was not meant that way , and sometimes I am just a big jerk.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

I am convinced this is a move to 'break' the 'chain of command',,, and 100% due to the child rape cases that are now being prosecuted.

t

• Violia
    Violia

I heard about this on the news too. They suspend this practice (the special last meal) due to a death row inmate asking for an outrageous amount of food, then he did not eat it at all. I have always thought the special last meal was just formality anyhow. The time could be better spent with loved ones and the minister of their choice.

Really don't you think reading out loud to all what this person did to deserve death is a better practice? It might help with the healing of the victims families.

• talesin
    talesin

I see what you're saying, Vi,,, but then I think "this is that person's last act on earth" ,,, and also (seriously, not being sarcastic!_) about what the Governor had for dinner that night, and how much it cost ... so what if his/her last act was one of defiance? THEY ARE DEAD.

Anyhow,,,what is right/wrong//?????? I dunno! All I gotta say is, let's 'think' a bit more; empathy _____ the ability to see life through the 'other 'person's' eyes ... you can be kind and caring,,, and still lack empathy. I agree with NC.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

xx to vi ...

friends/.disaggreeing = healthy debate (imho)

t

• talesin
    talesin

this song, for me, is about oppression .. it doesn't wear a colour, or a gender ... it just 'is' ... ;)

xo t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HADvReif_GI

• talesin
    talesin

lol double post again ,,, demunzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

O-K...we are just talking about eating ONE meal. ONE!

This, in my humble opinion, has NOTHING to do with 'our collective conscience'. That meal is NOT the 5 ton elephant in the room. There is an issue about Death Penalty vs Life in Prison -- and WAS the guy absolutely, positively, no-doubt-about-it guilty.

If...they are truly guilty, it's not really murder. It is punishment.

Whether or not they eat ? Sorry, but, we are not trying to starve them to death.

If someone had murdered my sweet wife or a family member or a friend...? I would vote, "No Meal at all". That could never ''lower me to their level'', I would still be "better than them", putting those guilty to death doesn't let "the actions of evil people rob us of our [humanity]". Don't you think the Evil Guilty have already ROBBED us?? Why would I want to be 'nice' ? What had they ever done for me ?

No menu. No meal. If it was up to me, I would allow the family members to choose whether or not they wanted to participate in the execution.

Now, how we treat humans while they are imprisoned...that's another story. If we are "cruel & torturous", that would define our culture.

Lastly, this really is ALL about the VICTIMS and their loved ones.

• Violia
    Violia

Yes Tal, friends can disagree

I think if this was one of my family on death row I'd want to be there for them and comfort them. I am of the opinion that any human being who kills in an especially heinous way is mentally deranged- whether they meet the test of legal insanity or not.

the last meal is a formality , the prisoner is not refused food that day.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/22/special-last-meals-texas-_n_976543.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_meal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit