Were YOU a Pushy JW?

by minimus 13 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I HATED JWs that were pushy. Some tried to impose their "Bible trained consciences" on everyone. Or the pushy ones would go from house to house and argue with the householder! Or you might get that "Jezebel" influence with a know it all "sister" who always was right (and generally was) telling you what you should do.

Were you a lamb or a lion?

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

I was NEVER pushy! I LOVED talking to people about Jesus when preaching but if they didnt agree or if they had their beliefs i just thanked them, wished them well and moved on. Every now and then id be with brother tactless who would just steam ahead in the conversation and say to the householders face that he was going to die if he didnt listen.

VBVOJSHBVGOSHBVHBVJVJBNVBVHBUFGIAIPRJSIJHVUIO

MAKES ME CRINGE JUST THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUCK!!!! Im glad im out of such a destructive religion.

• minimus
    minimus

I avoided working in the ministry with certain ones and would speak up when someone was being a dickhead.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I was pushy, but not disrespectful. I really believed I had a precious truth that everyone could benefit from, and did my best to help them see it. LOL I was quite dangerous.

NC

• minimus
    minimus

There were tons of pushy JWs with that same attitude in the early 70s, right before the Great Trib was to occur. Ha Ha.

• cedars
    cedars

On the whole, I believe I was quite placid with people who disagreed, provided they did so politely.

There was one occasion that still makes me cringe.

I used to enjoy discussions with an academic who lived on my local territory. He was a published author and a very clever man. He was a fan of evolutionary theory and had many books on the subject, but he also had books on the bible as he was intrigued by the possibility of there being a God. He was always encouraging me to read more 'secular' literature to broaden my outlook, rather than relying purely on Watchtower publications. Looking back, I should have listened to him more. The last time I visited him as a Witness I quoted him Matt 11:25 which says "I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to babes". I was quite proud of myself at the time, and he was left rather bemused. I still cringe when I think of doing that, because he had more knowledge to give to me than I could possibly have offered to him at that time. My plan is to revisit him soon and let him know just how wrong I was.

• jay88
    jay88

NC: I was quite dangerous

I think that knocking on anyone's door is dangerous, and has to be one of the main reason that the WTBTS does not have a radio station or TV broadcast. If their message was proliferated in the same manner as "Mr.Rutherford" , the current JWs would be subject to baptism by fire from the community.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I was firm but tactful. I recall going to a door once with Mr. Pushy. The about 2 minutes into the argument..the householder said he didn't have time to argue so he needed to go. Mr. Pushy kept right on preaching. When the householder tried to shut the door, Mr. Pushy put his foot in the door jamb to prevent the door from closing. God it was embarassing.

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

I was a wee toddler when, I recall, there was discussion about putting your foot in the door. LOL! Madness. I've never been the type to be pushy. Not interested? Have a nice day!

Cedars, what a neat experience that would be to go back and just TALK and THINK. Really cool. :)

• minimus
    minimus

Elders that are pushy recruit those that admire them to be the same way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit