City Overseers discontinued immediately 9/16/11

by Gayle 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gayle
    Gayle

Letter dated 09/16/11 to all BOEs about City Overseers being discontinued effective immediately.

This is from a very reliable JW anonymous source.

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

Wow. I'd like some more info on this!

• ziddina
    ziddina

City Overseers???

I wasn't aware that they HAD city overseers?

Any chance we could see a scan?

Thanks in advance!

• iceguy
    iceguy

My cousin is a City Overseer...or was i guess.

• LV101
    LV101

why do they eliminate free labor in downsizing? just restructure --- this gives the circuit overseers more control?

• Quendi
    Quendi

I'm surprised it took this long to eliminate the post. My late uncle was the city overseer in Cleveland, Ohio many years ago. I asked him what his duties were. He told me that the work consisted mainly of following up renewals to subscriptions to The Watchtower and Awake! magazines. The Society would send him the expiration notices that the subscribers also received. He would then get in touch with the appropriate congregation (which was identified by a number assigned to it by the Society and was posted on the notice), telling its Service Overseer that the subscriber should be contacted about a renewal. This was done both for publishers as well as non-Witnesses. Since the subscription arrangement was canned years ago, there really is no need for city overseers. They may have been assigned other things to do in the time since my uncle served, but clearly whatever they were doing is no longer necessary.

Quendi

• Gayle
    Gayle

May have 'scan' of letter tomorrow.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

It was a pretty bullshit position.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Often they handled PR business regarding conventions, news releases to local papers and such.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My question is, why?

Why eliminate this position, with all the other more significant problems with which they must be dealing? City Overseer is just another term for a local spy who can keep the CO or DO informed as to 'trends' and 'problems'. Why cut this? They don't pay anything for it. And these guys are just hoping for a big wig to wiggle a zipper so he can perform.

Just curious as to why they would bother to do this. Skeptical minds want to know.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit