Looking through a glass onion

by MoneurMallard 10 Replies latest jw friends

• MoneurMallard
    MoneurMallard

Has anyone given any consideration to the fact that the Torah strictly prohibited sorcery and those who spoke with the dead, and the acts of Jesus during his ministry?

Deu 18:9 "When you come into the land that the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominable practices of those nations.

Deu 18:10 There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer

Deu 18:11 or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead,

Deu 18:12 for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD. And because of these abominations the LORD your God is driving them out before you.

There are several aspects of the NT that suggest the entirety of Jesus' ministry broke many of the aforementioned commandments. The human sacrifice of himself for instance, (human blood on an altar is an abomination, of course you'll have a hard time convincing Jephthah of that), turning water into wine (what kind of Messianic goal is behind that anyway?), and talking with Elijah and Moses in the transfiguration. IT's funny how regular human drones are not allowed to do these things but Jesus is allowed to do it and still somehow be credited with "keeping the law in full"...
  • cantleave
    cantleave

It's all contradictory claptrap!! A book of myths and fairy tales. Tolkein is so much better!

• NomadSoul
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

I told you about the walrus and me, man.

• ziddina
    ziddina

From what I've learned of the "New" testament, as opposed to the "Old" testament, the new testament contains a great deal of Greco-Roman heathen ideas grafted onto the Jewish traditions.

For that matter, many of the events in the "old" testament are of a questionable nature, too. "Moses" setting up a "bronze snake on a pole" would CLEARLY have been considered an act of idolatry, under ANY other circumstances. "Joshua" appealing to the sun AND MOON, in order to lengthen the day, is far too close to a magical 'spell' cast with astrological undertones to be considered free of "pagan" influences, too...

Heck, the whole concept of "miracles" are just magic performed by the so-called "good" gods, as opposed to the denigrated "evil magic" of the supposedly "bad" gods - the priests of Egypt who were able to duplicate "Moses" "magic" is one example that springs to mind...

Zid

• MoneurMallard
    MoneurMallard

Ziddina, good points indeed, although Joshua and Moses weren't claiming to "keep the law perfectly" as the NT Jesus figure was supposed to have done... It becomes clear that Jesus broke the law in several areas, and yet the writers still maintain he didn't. (Hebrews 4:15).

I forgot to mention the most important, breaking the Sabbath which John 5 says he did.

• MoneurMallard
    MoneurMallard

Well here's another clue for you all.....

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Tryin to make a dovetail joint.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Where's the clue? Where's the clue?!?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Well, here is a clue for you all, the Walrus was Paul.

The nastiness between John, Paul, and George made me feel abandoned. Other people's sibling rivalry is so amusing. I just read a massive tome of Pete Townshend's obsession with Roger Daltrey. So funny. Yet my rivalry is so sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit