A Little Light Relief...

by THE GLADIATOR 15 Replies latest jw friends

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

POST CARD FROM SNOWDONIA

We have just returned from a week in Snowdonia, North Wales. My first impression of the beamed cottage we rented for a week was that it was dusty and in need of refurbishment. Esther pointed out that it was in fact a rustic experience. She even made friends with and fed the field-mouse that lived rent free in the kitchen. Each day I chopped logs to feed the open fire. Every night we sat by the roaring fire with a glass of wine and didn’t watch TV for a week. There was a TV but it was old and so tiny the cleaner had overlooked it for many years.

Our isolated cottage near Betws-y-Coed was neighbour-free and next to the raging LLedr river. On one occasion, after a night of heavy rain, the river rose 10 feet and started to flood the patio. Standing on the bank and with raised walking poles I called on my gods for assistance. The waters subsided and the rest will become legend.

Esther forced me to walk many miles as she ticked off each prescribed hike in her Jarrold Pathfinder Guide, like a school teacher marking homework.

‘I’m supposed to be on holiday, relaxing,’ I ventured.

‘Your whole life is a holiday.’ Esther reminded me.

So we pressed on through the rain, across the flooded plains, through mud, brambles and over endless stiles as I sought to achieve a gold star.

Each day sheep covered valleys and mountains came and went as North Wales rolled itself out beneath our feet. Lakes led to rivers, then cascading waterfalls. Each day another tick in the book, then a return to the cottage to feed the mouse and stare at the log fire. I kept looking at my legs and wondering why they were not moving, while Esther planned our next conquest.

‘I’m a bit tired today.’ I confided.

‘That’s because you drink too much wine.’ Esther explained.

‘Ah! I knew there must be a reason.’

The next day Esther took pity on me and allowed me to let the train take the strain. We enjoyed a splendid 3 hour ride on the restored Welsh Highland Steam Railway that ran on a narrow gauge railway between Porthmadog & Caernarfon while serving refreshments. A man bearing an uncanny resemblance to John Hurt ignored the mountain views and peered at Esther over an upturned old broom, which turned out to be his moustache, while explaining his devotion and contribution to the railway’s restoration. Steamy stuff indeed!

We drove to Penmaenmawr, a coastal town on the North coast. Puffin Island is visible from here. After a life threatening hike around Druids Circle and braving torrential rain, we drove along the coast to Conwy. It boasted a large castle which the English started building in1085 to keep the Welsh out.

‘But this is Wales!’ I exclaimed.

It turns out that the English had decided to establish a garrison there and built the castle to keep out marauders, not realising that they themselves were in fact the marauders. I began to realise why the Welsh consider the English to be arrogant. Despite this, the Welsh treated us well and were happy to take our money, now that we are all part of the partially United Kingdom. The sun came out and the Welsh dived for cover. We squeezed in a boat trip and a visit to Conwy’s oldest house. We also saw the smallest house in Britain whose last occupant was a 6’3” fisherman.

Our holiday over, we headed south and stopped off at Ludlow for lunch. Ludlow is one of England’s best historic towns and was hosting one of its many festivals. For inhabitants that live for their food, it was sensibly themed on sausages and beer. Heaving with friendly people speaking a gargled accent somewhere between John Lennon and Sean Connery, the population were a stout and happy lot. Ludlow also boasted yet another huge castle, built by Edward I in the 13th century at a cost of £15,000. It was actually captured by the Welsh for a short time but must have escaped. Ludlow is well worth visiting for a long weekend or even moving to!

Finally, gold star confirmed, we collapsed into the car. I rammed it into auto and we sped south-east towards the safety of suburbia, to contemplate the meaning of rustic holidays and the call of the great up North.

Take care and tread carefully - it’s a curious world out there.

• talesin
    talesin

Gladiator,, that sounds like a marvelous holiday. I would love to visit Wales (part of my heritage 1/4 Welsh),,,, and here in Canada, I only know of one castle that we have.

Sounds like you had a marvelous holiday. Grtgs to the missus!

xx

tal

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Wales?

Why not go someplace nice?

Just teasing !

I've some some beautiful pictures of Wales.

Must be nice to have a holiday....

• talesin
    talesin

PSac ... just taking the opportunity to tell you this ... though we may not have the same thinking on religion, I read your posts with relish (no, not the green stuff, but the mental "topping on the cake"), and I enjoy every one of them, for your sincerity. You are a true 'poster child' (again, not making fun) for Christianity - you don't abuse or put down ANYONE, and always reply with a modicum of self-restraint and kindness. Good on ya!

tal

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jeezz, Thanks Talesin...I am touched and quite honoured, thank you.

BTW, we probably do think the same way about organized religion, if not religion.

:)

• talesin
    talesin

BTW, we probably do think the same way about organized religion, if not religion.

Agreed.

t

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

It’s encouraging to see people with different views finding a point that they can meet at.

It is humanity at its best.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Dear THE GLADIATOR Can I have it? (I'm kidding), it's only one chapter, not much of a book. But if you write some more, you might have your own book. I heard books make a lot of money. My brother-in-law wrote about zombies and gets $ for it. Go figure! No, friends, I did't read them. My husband helped edit them.....Mystery solved!!!!

Anyway it is very good. It might get stolen. It's that good! Thank you for the mind's vacation. Enough gentlemanly humor to be cute. I think you should publish it, you can send it to a magazine. Quickly. LOL With pictures. The world loves pictures.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

N.drew Thanks for the advice. I write a postcard like this each time I go away and have quite a collection now. Most are longer than this one. They are meant to be entertaining and help to keep in touch with people who know me. Stamping and sending a pile of real postcards, often from a foreign country, is something I gave up doing a long time ago. I doubt there is enough substant to these light hearted e postcards to merit a book. Glad you liked it.

• N.drew
    N.drew

You don't read novels, do you? Translation: Your essay is at least as good as evey novel I have ever read. Am I picking up the wrong books to read? Many of the books I read have bumpy parts that I make myself read in case I might miss something, because usually, I have to know the ending. Peace!

ps You probably have your book written, all you have to do is to figure out a beginning and an end. That's the hard part.

Oh, your a p e r f e c t i o n i s t maybe. Thanks again for sharing your adventure with us. And thanks to your wife for loving the mice, did she do that? That makes it really funny. If you publish and make lots of money, you should give her some (you know I'm kidding about the $, right?).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit