Should not those who protect "Mentally Diseased" be outraged?

by Greybeard 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

So lets say we are "mentally diseased"... Where is our protection from this hate speech and mental abuse? There are all kinds of mental institutions around the world. Edit- Maybe we should all go check ourselves in saying, "Jehovah, the Great Physician has called us "mentally diseased apostates!" - I wonder how they would feel if they read these words out of the Watchtower study article for 9/11/2011:

"Suppose that a doctor told you to avoid contact with someone who is infected with a contagious, deadly disease," the article reads. "You would know what the doctor means, and you would strictly heed his warning. Well, apostates are 'mentally diseased', and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings... Jehovah, the Great Physician, tells us to avoid contact with them. We know what he means, but are we determined to heed his warning in all respects? What is involved in avoiding false teachers? We do not receive them into our homes or greet them. We also refuse to read their literature, watch television programmes that feature them, examine their websites, or add our comments to their blogs."

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

this is getting a lot of heat!! I posted it on my FB

FS

• clarity
    clarity

Greybeard,

"There are all kinds of mental institutions around the world. I wonder how they would feel if they read these words"

Maybe we should find out ... maybe the psychiatric wards of all the local hospitals & doctors should know how the jw's view anyone who doesn't "think" just like them!!!!!

• AGuest
    AGuest

Okay, slightly off-topic... and currently irrelevant, so...

Thanks for the post, dear GB... and peace to you!

SA, on her own...

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I sure hope they print a retraction about that article soon, or else they'll be sorry... they will just keep looking worse and worse.

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

I would LOVE to see a class action law suit engage in response to this article. I know many say it is impossible to win. SO WHAT? That might not be the case this time. Am I dreaming here?

• Gayle
    Gayle

thx Greybeard,,I am starting to get myself organized to send this information to mental health organizations. They do need to be informed. If the WT organization continues this very negative attitude and hard pushes their people more, more JWs will be needing some help from mental health experts.

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

Again, this isn't really a WT issue, it is a translation issue and a free speech issue.

For years, many people have been wanting to censor Bible verses related to homosexuality and make it illegal to use said verses in public sermons. But that is simply what the Bible says in a proper translation, and people have a right to echo those words if they want (at least in the U.S. where there actually is free speech). The gays and lesbians have just had to put up with it and get over it.

Similarly, "mentally diseased" is an acceptable, literal equivalent translation of 1 Tim. 6:4.

Strong's entry:

Greek: νοσ έω
    Transliteration: noseō

Outline of Biblical Usage:

1) to be sick
    2) metaph. of any ailment of the mind
    a) to be taken with such an interest in a thing as amounts to a disease, to have a morbid fondness for.

Your problem is not with the WT itself, but with the general field of translation and with the WT simply repeating what Paul himself said in similar context. But unless you do know of a way to get the Bible itself censored, then I suspect that you will just have to quit whining and get over it.

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

@ Gayle,

Right on!

I was thinking... How cool it would be if a group of X-JW's in New York got together and all sought help from a mental institution. Maybe even take out an add in the paper asking for financial help for their "Mental Disease" . Mental institutions cost money right? They could say "Jehovah, the Great Physician has rejected us and we need help!" Maybe they could get someone like Jerry Lewis to do a telethon! I'm just joking of course

@ AGuest,

I think we ALL are guilty of name calling at one time or another. I know I have in times past. These days I honestly try to live and let live without condemning anyone. I think it is one thing to call someone a name and another to label them as "fit for everlasting destruction" . I would venture to say that not many on this thread stoop to that level. If so, I haven't seen it yet. The JW's do do this. When they call someone an "apostate" they are actually judging them as "fit for everlasting destruction." They even admit this is a 2006 Watchtower article where they said this:

The Watchtower of 2006, 2/15 “Questions From Readers” article asks this: What three dangers was Jesus warning against at Matthew 5:22 ?

"What, then, did the expression “despicable fool” signify? The word used here sounded similar to a Hebrew term that means “rebellious,” or “mutinous.” It designates a person as morally worthless, an apostate and a rebel against God. So the person addressing his fellow as a “despicable fool” is as much as saying that his brother should receive a punishment fit for a rebel against God, everlasting destruction. From God’s standpoint, the one uttering such a condemnation against another could merit that severe sentence—everlasting destruction—himself.— Deuteronomy 19:17-19 ."

Do you see the point here? The Watchtower here admits to call someone "apostate" is the same as calling them a "despicable fool" or rebel fit fir everlasting destruction. Jesus condemned such speech. It truly is HATE speech.

Even though some use terms such as "crazy/delusional/schizophrenic" as you mentioned, it does not carry the same meaning the Watchtower has employed does it? That they are fit for destruction? Or am I missing something?

Your brother in Christ,

Greybeard

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It isn't a translation issue, T.O. it is an INTERPRETATION issue. ONLY THE WATCHTOWER interprets 1 Timothy 6:4 as applying to people who leave THE Watchtower ORGANIZATION.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit