Post your favorite JW Non-words here!

by outsmartthesystem 30 Replies latest jw friends

• watersprout
    watersprout
    'righteous babe"

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! I have NEVER been called that before! I like it!

Talesin you have cheered me up! Thank you

Peace

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

WRONGDOING.

But seriously--it doesn't matter. The connotations those words conjure up in the mind of a dub are not the same as the general population would understand.

One thing I noticed when I started studying was they said John the Baptizer---I was used to hearing John the Baptist. Not wrong exactly, but they probably didn't like the connection to CHRISTENDOM.

NC

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

""fortunate" instead of lucky ... give me a f*ing break!"

Agreed! Once, as a child, I got reprimanded by an elder's wife for questioning why it was ok to use the word fortunate but not lucky since they mean the same thing. She explained that the meanings of the words don't matter. What matters is what is "accepted and approved" speech within Jehovah's holy organization. Since "fortune", although meaning the same thing as "luck" carriies a different connotation within the walls of the KH.....THAT makes using the word ok. Questioning anything that was deemed acceptable by teh organization thus showed that I had the makings of an independent attitude!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I always got a chuckle at hearing about someone with a "heart condition" accepting the religion, as if it was a religion for cardiac patients.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

I lived in the south...Georgia....Heard a few people say Sadum de Debil.....LOL

That means Satan the Devil for us educated folk...

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

haha! Minimus, "as it were," I thought it was just this one elder I knew in Ohio who said that! He gave a public talk one day, and "as it were" was peppered throughout! I thought he had dementia or something.

• wobble
    wobble

The one that always used to make my cringe-ometer spin was "mate" instead of partner or whatever for your better half.

I don't know if that is common usage in the U.S, but here in the U.K you would never hear the word used in that context, animals "mate" and have a mate.

I always thought it showed a generally derogatory view of a romantic relationship, as though the WT would rather all its members were single.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

"fleshly brothers and sisters"..as opposed to "spiritual brothers and sisters"........................ gimme a freeking break!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I don't know if this is cuz I'm a Brit but 'oldsters'.

Sorry, we don't use that here and I've not heard it on any US TV or films either.

How happifying!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Nobody says "oldsters" except the Borg. Good call, punk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit