Jehovah's Witnesses Investigated by Police!

by Atlantis 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Don't know if this is already posted or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jehovah's Witnesses investigated by police

The Watchtower, the magazine for Jehovah's Witnesses, is under investigation by British police, after complaints that it is in breach of religious hatred laws News Desk September 27, 2011 08:51 The Watchtower, the magazine for Jehovah's Witnesses, is under investigation by British police, after complaints that it is in breach of religious hatred laws.

The magazine – distributed around the world - described those who leave the church as “mentally diseased.”

According to the Telegraph, the article being investigated by detectives reportedly warned followers to avoid "false teachers" which it condemned as being "mentally diseased".

"Suppose that a doctor told you to avoid contact with someone who is infected with a contagious, deadly disease," part of the article stated.

"You would know what the doctor means, and you would strictly heed his warning. Well, apostates are 'mentally diseased', and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings."

Former Jehovah's Witnesses made the complaint to their local police who are investigating the allegations.

Angus Robertson, a former Witness "elder" told The Independent: "The way scripture is being used to bully people must be challenged.

“If a religion was preaching that blacks or gays were mentally diseased there would understandable outrage."

The Jehovah's Witnesses defended the passage saying ostracisation from the organization was "a personal matter for each individual to decide for himself".

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/jehovahs-witnesses-investigated-illegal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nevada

• AGuest
    AGuest
    The Jehovah's Witnesses defended the passage saying ostracisation from the organization was "a personal matter for each individual to decide for himself".

It is... and calling such ones "mentally diseased" implies they aren't compentent to MAKE such decisions. WTBTS double-tongued double-speak at its finest.

Thank you, dear Atlantis (peace to you!), for posting this. Hopefully, the British officials won't fall for their flimsy "defense."

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sadly, when this all blows over, it will just be another WIN in the JW column.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The Telegraph have got hold of the wrong end of the stick here.

The Watchtower article was reported to the police, a compliant lodged, but nothing could be done unless some physical violence had occured.

• talesin
    talesin

DOC I don't know if you read the comments, but we have already won. Lots of questions from non-Witnesses.

The 'truth about the Truth TM' is being heard -- loud and clear. I was amazed at the number of people who were writing in that they had a friend who was JW and such-and-such happened to them.

Other people were saying things like, "who says they speak for G*d?"

And the story was tweeted by Richard Dawkins, and featured on his website, so there's at least another 20,000 readers. He has a worldwide audience.

We gave a really 'good witness' today, and I will hear no negative nellies. Period.

tal

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I see these articles as helpful to those who might be curious about JW's, maybe even have a friend or family member who is a JW. It certainly leaves enough doubt in the mind of the interested one. As for those who are in. This is just another attack by satan. Honestly that's fine. Why worry about a very small segment of the population that seems hell bent on living a lie. I'd rather be concerened about the other 99% of the population who have the opportunity to avoid this ridiculous religion

• cofty
    cofty

Everything that talesin said.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

This is perfect timing as well. The Annual meeting will be taking place soon. It will be interesting to see how they will spin it.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Just checked out Dawkin's website. Comments being added there too. Beauties!

I liked SteveHill's comment: "Shunning your own family just because they have a different opinion is mentally diseased. End of."

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Talesin is absolutely right. No real damage can be done to the core---it must happen along the fringes. Those that are interested, studying, questioning---THOSE are the ones that will be helped. This is incredibly positive.

I wonder what it was like going out in service in the Uk THIS morning. LOL LOL LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit