Another WT Contradiction in December 2011 Awake

by FreeAtLast1914 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FreeAtLast1914
  • FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

Let me try this again.

In the Article "They tried to keep God's Word from the masses", the WT (as usual) dogs the Catholic Church for their position on Catholics reading the Bible without their permission. Page 8 states: "The Catholic hierarchy certainly knew that many of its teachings were based, not on the Bible, but on church tradition. Doubtless, this is one of the reasons for their reluctance to allow their faithful to have access to the Bible. By reading it, people would become aware of the incompatibility between their church doctrine and Scripture . . . Any who wanted to read the Bible were told to obtain written permis sion from bishops or inquis itors. "

This is interesting, because as the now-infamous September 2007 KM clearly stated: "Does "the faithful and discreet slave" endorse independent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate? No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the New World Translation. Others explore scientific subjects related to the Bible . . . For those who wish to do extra Bible study and research, we recommend that they explore Insight on the Scriptures, All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial, and our other publications, such as those that discuss the prophecies found in the Bible books of Daniel, Isaiah, and Revelation. "

How can the Governing Body continue printing such blantly contradictive statements, ragging on other religions while they enforce similar policies in their own religion? How long until the majority of JWs see their leadership for what it is?

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

Just to demonstrate the level of hypocracy we're dealing with, on the following page (p. 9) the magazine states: "The Bible — the Scriptures Jesus read and taught — is God’s means of providing answers to the questions that sincere people ask."

And yet, as a JW, if you were to meet with other JWs and discuss this "inspired" book without their blessing, you would risk disfellowship or at the very least severe marking and subsequent shunning.

I know this is not a new point being made here, but surely the GB sees how they have jumped the proverbial shark on this one, right?

• AnneB
    AnneB

Worse than that, WT sets up a false dichotomy here: Bible versus Tradition. It's not about Bible-based teachings v. tradition-based teachings at all. It's about believing in God and following the leading of his Holy Spirit.

WT has a phrase they ought to copyright: "God'sWordTheBible". They link the two together when they ought to be separate. Until a person realizes that simple truth they'll be hoodwinked by specious arguments such as the one above.

God's Word isn't the Bible. The Bible and scripture are not the same thing. WT either doesn't know or doesn't care.

AB

• ziddina
    ziddina

FreeATLast, I skimmed that "Awake" mag last nite, but didn't have the stomach to read that article.

Now that I've read your comments, I'm going to print it out and have it handy by the front door, for the next poor Jehovah's Witness who makes the mistake of calling at my house.

Heh, heh....

Zid the She-Devil

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

AnneB, great stuff. If anything, the GB are kings of false dichotomies. And I would go with the latter, they flat don't care.

ziddina, I hope you get that opportunity to have a little fun. Those poor people deserve to know what they're involved in.

• lostandconfused
    lostandconfused

Interesting point that you made in the Dec. Awake...and we can all see the hypocrisy of it, BUT if you were to show that article to a JW they would just say something like "The WTBTS publications are inspired by Jehovah and should be used to study the bible"....

The have an argument for everything = Circular Reasoning

1. "New Light"

2. "Imperfect Men"

3. "God's Inspired Organization"

It's pointless to argue with a JW... I know...I live with them....

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

@ Lost&confused remember they say they FDS is not inspired but directed. When people use such idiotic logic there is no gettimg thru.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

What a very good point. Its so funny when they say that the churches hide the meanings of the bible etc. I found that JWs did exactly the same thing.

When i started to do bible research and ask questions as to what the organisation was doing and what the bible said, i was told: 'you need to be careful because people might think you are an apostate.' EXCUSE ME?

Hypocritical is not strong enough a word.

Timmy xxx

• irondork
    irondork

I remember when I was first reinstated after a 20-year hiatus, I was very gung-ho in my personal bible study. I asked an elder if he could recommend a reference work so I could look up ancient greek words and compare translations. He gave me a very strange look, almost a raised eyebrow of suspicion .

I brushed it off as something I probably imagined.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit