I have just finished the New Testament!

by TimothyT 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Leaving WT: I found exactly the same too. I enjoyed Galatians.

PSacramento: Johns gospel and his letters are certainly my favourites too. All i read in them is mercy and forgiveness. I also love Hebrews as it preaches the same message. :)

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

My eyes were opened to the WT because of reading the NT. From John ch 13 thru Galatians I could see how they were so very wrong.
    1 John 2:26,27 gave me the confidence to know my conclusions were correct " I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. 27 But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lieā€”just as it has taught you, abide in him." English Standaed Version

• dm6
    dm6

a lot of things are "organized', its how we like things as humans.

Think about Genesis right at the beggining. Imagine the guy writing the first words of the bible. Back then, it must have seemed a really impossible task to get all his thoughts and words out on to a peice of paper.

In the beggining god created...etc etc all up to the seven days. Its how we as humans like things, "in little boxes" so to speak.

Its just how we are, and how we like to see things, have everything organized. Becasue lets face it, God almoighty could do all he did in those seven days, times it by seven, destroy it all do it all over again several times, at the snap of our fingers.

If he wanted to.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I must say that the bible's version of Christianity is much better than the JW's . . . TimmyT

This made me smile. I like it.

Good summary Timmy . . . no argument here.

God has never worked through an organization but through indivduals. . . . Psac

I'm sure even C T Russell acknowledged this . . . it was only when that ratbag Rutherford got control that their tower of babel really got underway.

I like the book of Proverbs . . . and specifically the teachings of Christ. There's just a lot of good sense in them . . . for anybody.

• Quendi
    Quendi

@TimothyT: I don't have the Watchtower Library CD that's newer than the 2007 version. But I will ask around. Perhaps you could email that information to me. I will PM you with my email address and thanks for all your help. I'm sure I will enjoy discussing different Bible topics with you.

@sizemik: They say that John's Gospel is the most translated part of the Bible and is available in more languages than any other book. I find that to be most interesting. As for the book of Proverbs, it has been said that if you could have only one book of the Bible available to you, that should be the one because its counsel on a person's relationship with fellow humans and God is without equal. I certainly agree with that.

Quendi

• AGuest
    AGuest

Greetings, dear TimT (peace to you!). I would suggest to anyone who undertakes such an endeavor... to:

1. Request holy spirit... to at least help such one discern what was inspired... and what was not (which is most of the NT); as well as...

2. Read the writings in the order they were written (versus the order they appear in the canon), otherwise, one can't help but get a distorted view of what really took place... when... and why.

More than both of these, however, I would suggest one read... and try to get the sense of Christ's words recorded at John 5:39, 40... and Revelation 3:17, 18. Because one can read the Bible, NT and/or OT... all day long... but not get one cubit of life added to them.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I too am finished with the New Testament. Though perhaps I use verb slightly differently.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

AK-Jeff: Your comment reminded me of the Count of Cristo. Starts at 2:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hevYJf76FEw&feature=related

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

Timothy T.

Good Job indeed. It took me 50 years to come to these realizations. Greg Staffords books are on my list to get particularly after he left JWs in 2007. Sometimes I've wondered how others on this site view him? He was a apologist for JWs for many years and then hit a crossroads. Me too! An interesting book to read is 50 years in the Church of Rome by Charles Chinique (not sure of that spelling) All men question the beliefs of organizations made by men.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit