I have just finished the New Testament!

by TimothyT 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Although I was a JW for almost all my life, I have just finished reading the New Testament for the first time. I have been disfellowshipped for over 3 weeks and it has taken me those 3 weeks to get through it all. I have REALLY enjoyed it and I have learnt a lot. I must say that the bible's version of Christianity is much better than the JW's (Acts 5:29 ).

I would like to address one point after reading the NT - ORGANISATION!

When I was disfellowshipped, i HATED this word and i still do actually. I think the way the JW's speak about it is vile and I believe they need to get their facts straight by reading the bible contextually. Having said that, after reading the NT, I must say that in some ways I do agree with the term and its meanings. Here is how:

• Likewise, I certainly believe that God has 'organised' for his son to save all mankind. That much is made clear in almost every single book and letter in the NT (John 1:29 ).
    • I agree that it would take ‘organisation’ in order to preach throughout the world. The apostles in the first century were ‘organised’ this way as we can read in Acts.
    • I agree that God has always been 'organised' (1 Corinthians 14:33 ). He ‘organised’ Noah, Moses and many others to lead his people.
    • I believe that God has an 'organisation', though I think a better term would be congregation. That congregation is the body of Christ who is the head, and those who have faith in him are a part of it (Ephesians 1:22 -23).
    • I believe that Christians work best when they meet together and encourage one another (Hebrews 10:24 -25). This takes place all over the world in millions of Christian churches and congregations.

Here is what I don’t agree with:

• I believe the praise goes to God and his son Jesus NOT an ‘organisation’ which is simply there to facilitate helping people come to a close relationship with God and do his will. (Matthew 4:10)
    • I don’t think anyone should overlook the importance of Jesus Christ and render his sacrifice as irrelevant and obsolete by giving way to strange new ideas, ie, that he would want us to join an exclusive group (Acts 10:24-35, Hebrews 13:8-9).
    • The JW’s quote 1 Corinthians 1:10 and say that ‘such unity does not exist among the varied churches of Christendom’ (Reasoning Book p.283). They should read up to verse 13 to get the context. Paul is here talking about being united in belief in Christ. Almost all churches today are united in their belief that salvation is through Christ. It is the JW’s who are divided as they believe salvation is through an ‘organisation’.
    • I don’t believe that Jesus would have a literal human congregation, but it is figurative in the sense that hundreds of millions are serving and praising Jesus united throughout the earth today (Ephesians 4:4-5). These people are believers; therefore they can be joined in worship.

I think that all JW’s should read the New Testament with an open mind and maybe they would realise that Jehovah today does have an ‘organisation’ but it isn’t exactly how the governing body are portraying it.

Jesus made no mention of a man made ‘organisation’ in the gospels. He is the head of the Christian congregation and ANYONE who puts their faith in him will be saved (John 3:16 ). It is not a matter of being part of an ‘organisation’. If Jesus had changed his mind then I’m sure he would have informed us.

Timmy xxx

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Being organized and being an organization are tow very different things.

God has never worked through an organization but through indivduals.

Christ was VERY critical of the organizations of his time, far more than of individuals.

I am glad that you read the NT from start to finish, it is quite different than just getting verses out of context to mean what someone wants it them mean.

Next suggested reading would be some books on the history of the NT and maybe some commentaries on books you may have problems with.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Thanks for the update.

I was particularly impressed with the Book of Galatians, when I read it in one sitting. It's essentially a succint rebuttal of WT's authoritarian, works-based dogma.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

My personaly favorites are John and 1John.

Though some of Paul's writings can be beautiful.

• Ding
    Ding

It is amazing how different the NT is from how the WTS portrays it.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks so much, TimothyT, for this thread. I have been thinking about starting my own Bible reading routine and the NT is certainly a good place to start. The WTS gave its followers several different programs of Bible reading for them to follow. I wish I had that list now because even though I despise most of what the WTS does and stands for, I think something like that would be helpful. If anyone has that list or can get it for me, I'd be most grateful. Please let me know. Otherwise, after I finish the New Testament, I'll probably head for Psalms, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. Those are absolutely my favorite OT books. I don't know where I'll go after that. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Quendi

• Bella15
    Bella15

Good job Timothy! I think you will enjoy reading the OT without the WTC goggles too I have a book by Philip Yancey, "The Bible Jesus Read" that you may want to read, it is about the Old Testament, which is the Bible Jesus read, used and loved.

• mummatron
    mummatron

Timmy, out of interest, which version of the NT did you read from? If it wasn't the NWT would you care to share which one please.

I don't think I'd have the patience to attempt the KJ version. I don't actually own a Bible at the moment, but might download one to my smartphone at some point in the future.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Tim:

I appreciate your brief summary. I agree with your conclusions.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Thanks everyone.

Quendi: HEHE! Its awesome that you like Psalms, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. These are my fave books from the old testament too! :) I have PM'd you too.

Mummatron: The New Living Translation. Its flippin brilliant. I read Romans and Ephesians with it and found it incredibly easy. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit