Autologous Blood Transfusion — Jehovah’s Witnesses

by Marvin Shilmer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

WTBTS you may know how to clean toilets and remove gum from underneath stadium seating but when it comes to understanding and explaining scripture having to do with blood you..............................SUCK!

• sir82
    sir82

Blues Brother,

Did you see the article on "Live Donor Liver Transplanatation" on Marvin's blog? Granted it's not a Watchtower article, but the writing indicates that saving one's own blood "at room temperature for 6 hours", then chilling it, then transfusing it back in, is A-OK with JWs.

Of course the WTS would never put anything like that in writing in one of its own journals - but I'm quite sure HLCs are happy to give out that information verbally.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

BluesBrother writes:

“I am sorry but I do not see the article that is quoted as sanctioning Autologous Blood Transfusion.”

When you withdraw blood and then put it back into the patient (see quote in article) it is a transfusion of autologous blood.

Marvin Shilmer

• mrmusicmr
    mrmusicmr

transfusion of autologous blood? nice definition.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thank you Marvin another great post

smiddy

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hmmm , Interesting situation - clearly the medical community are speaking of things that differ from the written policy of WTS. [ not for the first time]

I note that Randy Henderson is, Director of Transfusion-Free and Blood Management Services, St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles. Are we sure that he is a practicing Witness ? The article that he co authored along with eleven others does not say .

In any event, I do not think that an article in a medical journal can be attributed to the WTS.. any body of elders dealing with a case of medical procedure would refer only to WTS publications before deciding to "disassociate" or not

• dozy
    dozy

I remember asking a HLC member if I could arrange blood to be removed from my body , separated into fractions which were then individually reinfused into my body. He said that wouldn't be permitted. OK - so if I asked my neighbour (not a JW) to do that & give me his fractions, would that be OK. Yes - that would be allowed , he admiited (essentially that is what is done on a much larger scale by the Red Cross). Even he saw the nonsense & unfairness of the situation.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

BluesBrother writes:

“…clearly the medical community are speaking of things that differ from the written policy of WTS.”

Look again.

The Watchtower article quoted from October 2000 specifically refers to withdrawing a patient’s blood and then returning that blood to the patient.

Withdrawing blood and then returning that blood intravenously to the same patient is an autologous whole blood transfusion. Look it up.

The secular journal is cited only to show one method of doing this employed by clinicians. Also, do you recognize the primary author associated with this article? Jabbour? Does that ring any bells for you???

Marvin Shilmer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit