Do you ever suffer from this in your sleep or is it just me?

by highdose 19 Replies latest jw friends

• trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

My wife is starting to dream about earthquakes and the such like....JW thinking perhaps??

• not bitter
    not bitter

nugget - I had a very similar experience to you. And like you I was in a hotel on a course about 12 years ago. I was in bed and felt strange but can't explain how exactly. I could sense someone sitting heavily on the end of my bed next to me. I was too afraid to turn over an look so just kept saying 'Jehovah' out loud but not too loud in case anyone walking past my door could hear me. Didn't want them to think I was a nutter. I had been out for a few years when it happened but was still convinced of demons. Anyway, years later I have realised that its just a feeling I get when I'm dropping off to sleep as I get it quite often.

• Scully
    Scully

It sounds like you might have a bit of PTSD going on, related to your previous break in.

Perhaps you could download some relaxation music or other audio recordings to listen to before you go to sleep, to help clear your mind of those anxieties.

FWIW, I have experienced dreams in which I hear the phone ringing or my alarm going off, which wakes me up. It so happens that my working shiftwork makes me anxious about sleeping through my alarm - which becomes the focus of my thoughts before going to sleep, and then I'm hearing alarms in my dreams all frikkin' night long. I started taking my iPod to bed, and listening to audio books as I slept. It drowns out external sounds (except my real alarm clock) and gives my mind a different focus as I drift off to sleep. It works quite nicely for me, to be honest.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Is it possible that you are having small earthquakes? I have also heard of breezes causing poorly latched cupboard doors to swing open, particularly if they are also not hung straight. Check the latches on the offending cupboards. It is common that one of the latches is worn or that it is not closed all the way, and if you are not stacking things securely inside, something can fall with even a tiny earthquake or on its own. And it doesn't take a magnitude 9 earthquake--if something is not secure, a magnitude 1 or 2 might give it just enough of a nudge that it can fall on its own 15 minutes later.

Another thing to check is mice. Sometimes a mouse can knock something down or cause a door to open "on its own". If it is just one mouse, you might not even notice it--especially if it is coming in from outside, causes the disturbance, and then goes back out. A pet can do this, but it would be much more obvious what is causing the noises.

And weather is not to be ruled out. High winds can cause minor shaking, similar to a small earthquake--enough to dislodge something that's about to fall into falling 10 or 15 minutes later. Rapid changes in temperature can create thermal expansions that sometimes cause different expansion rates. Cracks in dry wall, noises, and things appearing to shift (again, possibly including dislodging cans that were not perfectly securely stacked) can result. Changes in humidity can also expand or contract certain materials. And yes, thunder can vibrate things enough so that poorly secured items can come loose (but you would hear the thunder first).

• Glander
    Glander

Try one of those "white noise" gadgets, different sounds can be selected, ocean surf, wind rain, forest bird chirping, etc.

I occasionally hear quite distinct sounds when on the edge of sleep. When I investigate I realize the sound was 'all in my head'.

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

I also think PTSD. You might also look into night terrors and, while I think this may be quite a stretch, schizophrenia. My brother was hearing things like, even heard our youngest brother screaming one night, and when he checked, it was nothing. The kid was sound asleep in his bed. This bro that heard things has schizo-effective disorder.

• Glander
    Glander

I heard a strange noise last night, but it was just highdose.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Try reducing the dose.

• hubert
    hubert

Instead of waking up "in a dark room," it might help to have a night light in there. Might not be so scary when you do wake up, and may help relieve some of the stress.

Hubert

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

i get them too... FS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit