Necessary business with Disfellowshipped ones

by Quarterback 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Can't understand why authorities don't catch up to this as "unfair business practice" and/or "discrimination"

In this context it's applying to family relationships. No laws apply. While you cannot pick who your family members are, you can decide not to associate with them for any or no reason. Period.

However, in the US, if they were to instantly "cut off" business relationships, that is, firing employees because they got DFd, or cancelling leases to residential rental property, then I think they would be opening themselves up to religious discrimination lawsuits. However, relationships with subcontractors etc are not subject to the same discrimination laws.

In the past, the "family business" exception was tolerated for almost anything. Elders were to stay clear of determining what constituted "family business". Only if the amount of associated with DFd famly members became an issue in the congregation, then those persons may no longer qualify for privledges -- Elder, MS, Pioneer, etc. but associating with DFd family members could never be cause to DF anyone. If there was no family relationship, that is a different story. One warning, or a brazen attitude about it and YOU'RE OUT!

Surely, evidently, it is reasonable to conclude.... (like that terminology?) this article is an attempt to tighten up on the flagrant association with DFd family and will no doubt be used to strongarm those who "abuse" the exception.

DOC

• out4good3
    out4good3

If you need money, are ill or require other manner of material support, and would otherwise have to rely on JW Friends™ or the Congregation™ for such

assistance, then contact with DF'd relatives as Necessary Family Business™ is permissible.

If your DFd relative(s) need money, are ill or require other manner of material support, then fuck 'em.

Don't see how it can be any clearer than that.

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

My parents apply 'Necessary Family Business' as ONLY when someone in the family is expected to die and is in the hospital. Other than that there is nothing 'necessary'.

The sad part is they apply this 'Necessary Family Business' to me and my wife and kids, and we are inactive. Well, we did tell them we could no longer follow men....;)

Cult 101

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"But what will these dear parents do? Will they obey Jehovah's clear direction? Or will they rationalize that they can have regular association with the disfellowshipped son and call it "necessary family business"? In making their decision they must not fail to consider how Jehovah feels about what they are doing"

That is what they say to the rank and file.

The reality is this:

The 2010 Flock book says that associating with df'd immediate family members is not a judicial matter.

So, what they want to bluff by us is not the same as what they will prosecute.

• sd-7
    sd-7

My mom pretty much referenced this article today and has indicated that she's going to limit our dealings to 'necessary business'. It was like talking to a zombie version of my mom. I've never heard her sound like that.

This is kinda new, so I'm really pissed off right now. These bastards are asking for souls and giving lies in return. Well, so be it. "If you will be turned...you will be destroyed!"

--sd-7

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The sad part is they apply this 'Necessary Family Business' to me and my wife and kids, and we are inactive.

Ask them when they decided that they have the authority to "go beyond the things written" (even what is written by the WT Society)?

Total lack of humility to the F&DS.

DOC

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

DesirousOfChange: They've been told countless times that this is a test of THEIR loyalty to God. They take everything that is said and go overboard with it!! They think the ONLY way to get us to 'snap out of it' is to treat us as if we are DF'd! What a CROCK!

Dad is an elder and he's talked so much through the years, telling people what to do, how to treat their own family members, telling people how he and mom raised such good kids in the 'truth'. Telling them exactly what to do to make sure your sons become bethelites and elders. OH THE IRONY.....toot, toot....toot, toot....wait a sec....OH SH_T...now what is he gonna tell people. Now he has to live the way he's been telling people for years. I mean he can't try to win us over now by showing love, that would be going against everything he ever said.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

booked

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Ambiguity is probably the most widely used mind-control technique used by the WT... not only does it create dependency for "guidance", it also helps mitigate any possible legal action against the borg..."

Extremely well put, Alfred!

• St George of England
    St George of England

I thought paragraph 14 was one of the most hypocritical statements I have read in a WT. Especially in the light of the (im)famous Awake-

*** g 7/09 p. 29 Is It Wrong to Change Your Religion? ***

Although the Bible makes a clear distinction between true and false teachings, God allows each person the freedom to choose how he or she will respond. (Deuteronomy 30:19, 20) No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family. Does study of the Bible lead to family breakup? No. In fact, the Bible encourages a husband and wife who practice different religions to remain together as a family.—1 Corinthians 7:12, 13.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit