Fav Movie Directors, do U have one?

by talesin 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• talesin
    talesin

yes, yes!

oh, LWT, you made me think of another Sidney, recently passed,,, Sidney Pollack,,, I loved his stuff, and an excellent actor, too.

ahh, cs, Mike Nichols! the actor's director ... as well as Robert Altman, lwt ,, he, too, wears that moniker!

:)

and, I like about 50% of his movies, including Talk Radio, Born on the Fourth of July, Wall Street and Natural Born Killers --- Oliver Stone (edit).

not a big Tarentino fan, but like the Kill Bill I and II

yr right, cs, with Hitchcock, too,,, they never get old!

• Glander
    Glander

Odd that no one mentions Orson Wells. But he just didn't follow through on his promising beggining with Citizen Kane.

Mann was/is a great action director in the same class as Peter "Bullitt" Yates.

Just to mention him once more, Ridley Scott never dissapoints.

By the way, speaking of action, the just released, "The Driver" with Ryan Gosling is getting great reviews. Newcomer director ?

• creativespirit
    creativespirit

Oh, Burns would probably not be classified as director, probably producer or documentarian.

GREAT Civil War series. Tho I can't watch it much bc it is so tragic and I end up crying so much. Humanity is so stupid.

Tal, you are Canadian if I recall?? Maybe he would not resonate so much with you since his subjects are usually so American.

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, and Scott came from TV as well.

True about Welles, one movie has made him a legend, but it's hard to make him one's fav director on one project.

Interesting, Glander, Yates directed a couple of my fav films. I looked him up, and didn't know they were his. :D

t

• talesin
    talesin

cs,, I haven't had cable most of my life (too cheap :D) and missed the civil war one, but the baseball/sports et al didn't interest me. Maybe I'll check out the historical stuff, as I am interested in that. tks .. it's all free and legal for us Cdns on the 'net (hehe, just had to rub it in)

t

• poppers
    poppers

not sure about Burns -- is he a director or producer?

Both. He does amazing work.

I know he does films on sports, but sorry, other than the titles (Baseball, eg.) I know nothing. :(

Hardly any sports. Check this out:

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/about/kenburns.html

• creativespirit
    creativespirit

Nice talking to you Talesian....

I am checking out for the night.

Do catch the Civil War series if you can...well worth it.

• talesin
    talesin

poppers ,,, I am bookmarking that article ... wow! so many great topics ,, jack johnson, national parks, mark twain, flw,, etc. thanks for the link.

hey, cs, you got somethin' started! :D

t

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

Stanley Kubrick

Martin Scorsese

George Cukor

Elia Kazan

Sam Mendes

Coen Brothers

Clint Eastwood

Federico Fellini

Hitchcock

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

In order:

Stanley Kubrick, if only for Dr Strangelove

Ingmar Bergman (esp for The Seventh Seal)

Sidney Lumet

Chris Nolan (Memento, The Prestige, Dark Knight, Inception)

Sam Peckinpah

Quentin Tarentino

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit