Did YOU Change In Your Personality After You Left The Organization?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

It's Crap,

Me, too! I'm finally growing up at age 43.

I, too, ask non-JW's questions, and suprisingly they answer them without judgment.

Nice people out there.

• ambersun
    ambersun

I can relate to so much that has been written here.

I have experienced two personality changes in my life. The first happened gradually between the ages of 14 and 18 when my family was converted and I was forced to change from a normal, confident, outgoing girl with the intention of going to uni and getting a good career, to an anxious, subservient wimp with no prospects other than to knock doors and take my place at the lower end of the pecking order in the congregation, along with all the other single sisters until we married and could then look forward to 'supporting' our husbands like good little JW wives should do.

I lived for so long with a 'masked' personality that by the time we left I had a breakdown as I did not know how to be myself.

That was over 20 years ago and I am still working on getting my real personality back and trying to be more confident and assertive.

• erbie
    erbie

I have come to view people as individuals and I try to see the good in them rather that label them as worldlings. I suppose I have come to realise that, unlike the Watchtower, I really do like getting to know people and appreciate that everyone is unique.

I didn't go on a drinking binge or anything like that but have come to fully appreciate the freedom to choose and take responsibility for my own actions and choices not having an organization to blame when things go awry.

It's very empowering to read the comments of people who have the wherewithal to break away from the control of the hateful Watchtower.

Viva La Vida!

• freetosee
    freetosee

I became myself!

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

It was easy for me.

I never had a personality to begin with!

• JRK
    JRK

I don't believe that my personality changed after leaving the JW's. What changed was my worldview.

After finding out that it was not the true religion, I first was overcome with a wave of anger, that they could make moral judgements about me while they were sleeping with the UN. Then a wave of peace came over me because it was the first time in my life that I had no morbid dread of Armeggedon.

After that I had to reevaluate everything that I thought I knew. I started with "Is the sky really blue?" Then I went on to adjust my viewpoints on everything with an open mind.

I always felt like a square peg being pounded into a round hole as a Witness. I think it was because I had a personality.

JK

• minimus
    minimus

We have a lot of late bloomers here.FINALLY, we are enjoying things we should've decades earlier!

• Bella15
    Bella15

@ Minimus ... love it ..."late bloomers" ... in the words of George Elliott .."It is never too late to be what you might have been". I have this plaque on my wall (yes another one ... I have a few dozens around ...LOL!) ... when thoughts of "crying over ashes" come around ... I stand in front of this plaque and it renews my spirit.

@scenicviever ... I can only say WOW! at this: " W 7-15-61 p420 ..... Christian must hate the person with whom the badness is inseparably linked.” (Emphasis added)"

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

As many have said already, I actually feel like I finally became who I was all along but supressed, I became ME.

I always thought I was an easy going witness. Looking back I wasn't. I was starting to become an a--hole to my little kids and wife. I was starting to demand perfection from my wife and kids. I was starting to live and demand my family do things because of how 'others' feel. We were the example everyone else was told to look to. That meant I was stricter than I needed to be with my family. Cracking down on the kids, for get this....SIMPLY BEING KIDS! My dear wife, whom I love with all my heart, was starting to resent me. She was supposed to be that, quiet, mild elder's wife.....GEEZ!!!! I WAS BECOMING MY DAD! I always hated that growing up, my dad always thought more about others feelings than his own family! Yet, I was following the same path of emptiness.

I would never trade anything for being the family we are now. My kids aren't being compared to other people's kids. My wife is my equal, actually she's more, but ....shhh...don't tell her! ;) In alot of ways my whole family is growing up and developing together, which is an awesome experience!!

It's funny, actually NO....It's sad, but when my wife and I were "in", we always thought we were the 'weird ones' because it seemed we never quite clicked with anyone else. But, once I left the organization I didn't have to pretend to be what I felt they expected me to be. I didn't have to 'toe the company line' anymore.

We found real friends. Ones that like us for simply being us.

Still outgoing, less judgemental, more accepting....living for the first time, my life...not someone elses. Let me tell ya, it feels GOOD! ;)

• not bitter
    not bitter

I've always loved a laugh, always been rather opionated but now less so. I think thats more to do with being a mum now. I'm certainly no longer judgemental of folk. Live and let live.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit