GRINGOS vs. CANUCKS / BRITS / AUSSIES

by picosito 15 Replies latest jw friends

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Picosito

is a Linguistically Lavish version of your handle Pieceofshitto? :-))

Re. your commments:

BTW, I don't have anything against Canucks, Brits, Aussies, Sewth Offrikens, etc, I LIKE the different ways we all use the English language and appreciate all the differing details. Let's have fun!!
    I am so glad you left those bloody New Zealanders out of your list, because those buggers really don't speak English!

Peace!

The Pope

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

60% of the original english language is in fact from latin (mater lingua). Therefore, I am going to side with the anglophiles on thsi one. British english is the original english, the most correct form of english and the standard for english dictionaries.

British spellings are correct, unique, full of flavour, and everyone knows that at one time or another, you have attempted a "british accent". It is still the most popular and widely recognized accent from the western world. I wish I could speak like John Cleese or Rex Harrison (only when speaking english, of course, they would sound foolish in spanish or italian).

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Heartfelt request from Expatbrit to North Americans:

PLEASE PLEASE do not try to speak in an English accent! You sound like a Londoner with a mouth full of mashed potatoes. Referring to me as "bloke" does not make me feel at home.

Just stick with your own delightfully dulcet accents, please!

Expatbrit

• Englishman
    Englishman

Obviously, Americans will change the language as a natural progression of 2 and a quarter centuries of independence. Many of the words used are of Indian origin, plus, Americans being ever innovative, would couple 2 ordinary words together to make a new one.Glow-worm, cat-fish, egg-plant, bob-cat, frost-bite, sky-scraper etc etc.

Weird thing is that many words that we assume are of American origin, are actually [regional British words that were carried across the Atlantic by settlers. These include skedaddle, teeter, drool, chitterlings, skulduggery which have actually returned to the English people via the Atlantic once more.

Some words have remained the same in England and America, but the thing described is very different. There is little resemblance between the English and American hedgehog, blackbird or martin for example.

The Americans dropping of the letter ‘U’ is probably the (to Brits anyway) the most noticeable difference in this language variation. Consequently, sensible international companies recognise this difference and accede to it so as not to appear insensitive to national preferences. AOL has a favourites box on my monitor, well done America on line, you didn’t just foist your originating countries spelling on me.

….Of course, one can’t help but notice that the WT mag, even though it’s printed in the UK, doesn’t even bother to humour anyone at all, in fact it humors no one!

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

• ballistic
    ballistic

sorry picosito, but this subject has been getting on my tits recently. Do you know how annoying it is to live in a world dominated by Microsoft products half of which just presume you speak English(US). Even our date format DD/MM/YY is different to yours but too many people over look this. Yes, what you say is correct and I was merely being bitchy saying American English is improper. But what I hate really is people who over-look the differences and presume the rest of the world is in their back yard. Of late, this is the one thing here which has pissed me off, is people who join this site and post a question obviously targeted at US posters only, and they don't even acknowledge English people or other nationalities are going to be reading it.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Ballistic,

It doesn't bother me, actually I take advantage of it to conceal my real identity in US JW chat rooms.

Otherwise, I will always use our own spelling, it just comes naturally. I guess we can't complain if Americans do the same. Unless they use it over here...when in Rome.....!

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit