GRINGOS vs. CANUCKS / BRITS / AUSSIES

by picosito 15 Replies latest jw friends

• picosito
    picosito

These spellings are the British version:
    AUTHORISE - COLOUR

These are the American version:
    AUTHORIZE - COLOR

Brits & Canucks may consider that AUTHORISE and COLOUR are the CORRECT spelling. Americans consider that these spellings are neither correct nor incorrect, but simply the BRITISH version, and our spelling is the AMERICAN version.

American democratic ideals can be seen in the position of VERSION as opposed to the position of CORRECTNESS. Loyalty to the British KING can be seen in the BRITISH view of CORRECTNESS as opposed to the American view of VERSION.

This loyalty to the KING can also be seen in how Canadians did not want to be disloyal to England and thus retained their own country loyal to the King, and so retained their preference for British spelling rather than American spelling.

It's also a good thing now that the American spelling version is AUTHORIZE and not AUTHORISE, because with the large number of Hispanics in the USA, one notices certain peculiarities in pronunciation. There is basically no voiced "Z" sound in Spanish when between vowels, so that AUTHORIZE is pronounced AUTHORICE by Hispanics, even those born and raised in the USA. The AUTHORISE spelling would be pronounced AUTHORICED. Thank God for the "Zeeeeeee" which Canadians like to call "Zed."

A noteworthy feature of the American version is also that using the "Z" instead of the "S" for the voiced "S" sound is more phonologically consistent, and eliminating the "U" from words like "colour" is an aspect of linguistic economy. So it cannot be stated with authority that the American versions are "incorrect."

• Simon
    Simon

Actually, I think the British version IS correct as it's to do with some words originating from Greek and others from Latin. The Americans can't remember all the different spellings and so just use the phonetic one

• ballistic
    ballistic

Linguistic Economy? I think you've been reading too much 1984, Quatermass and the Clock-work Orange and came to your own conclusions as to why Americans are justified in spelling improperly. Sorry but that is one hell of a weak argument.

• voltaire
    voltaire

I'm sorry, I'm a product of the American education system. Some of what you said seemed to go right over my head. Now, just what is this Canada you speak of?

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

What about judgement and neighbour? You americans are a bit slack with the ol english language. Bopping off letters, left right, and centre!!

I've got lots of luv to give, but no one wants it! - Mona.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Tell me about it!

In Canada I have to deal with signs like "Tire Centre". Makes my head spin!

Expatbrit

• picosito
    picosito

Seems Ballistic went kinda ballistic on me. Here's my return salvo:

I've been a perfect speller since I was five years old since my favorite First Reader was the Dictionary, NOT "Dick and Jane", I have an M.A. in Spanish Language and Literature, I taught Spanish for fifteen years at the university level before becoming a Court Interpreter, I've been a Federally Certified Court Interpreter since 1993, I'm certified as a Court Interpreter by the State of California and do telephone interpreting for Texas Workforce Commission Appeals Hearings. Both my (American) English and Spanish have to be perfect because of what I do. I also taught university courses in Linguistics, from whence "Linguistic Economy" comes, not from Stanley Kubrick or George Orwell (by the way, wasn't he British?) and I get a kick out of how you blokes still consider your English to be the CORRECT version rather than A VERSION. You'll not hear me say that American English is the CORRECT version, as well. Spaniards have a similar prejudice regarding their own version of Spanish because since it started in Spain is MUST be the CORRECT one, right? That argument just does not hold water anymore among linguists, but maybe the general public.

I just looked up some words in my Webster's. Is he a good enough authority? In any case it is an authority, not my own words

color: [ME colour < Ofr. < Lat. color (seems the "ou" comes from French, the onetime Official Language of England).
    neighbor: ME neighebor < OE neahgebur
    judgement: var. of judgment

If you look at these examples and, more importantly, consult the Dictionary, you will be able to find many things to think about. You'll also notice that these examples show no connection to Greek, just to Middle English, Old French, Latin, and Old English, and I daresay it's NOT a case of "Americans can't remember all the different spellings" (do they not have the same kind of brain as Brits?) but rather a case of evolution of language and its different varieties, and what dictionaries tell us in spite of any ethnocentrism we may suffer from.

We don't "bop off" letters, either. It's interesting how lack of info about or lack of sympathy toward another country causes some people to BE ethnocentric rather than do some research to see if their prejudices are justified. I see by comments here how ethnocentrism even affects attitudes toward others that speak a different variety of the same language.

BTW, I don't have anything against Canucks, Brits, Aussies, Sewth Offrikens, etc, I LIKE the different ways we all use the English language and appreciate all the differing details. Let's have fun!!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Let's not get into silly bickering now. The reason that English is such a vibrant, beautiful, descriptive language is because it's absorbed so many influences from all over the world.

It's roots are in both Latin and Germanic, as opposed to other European languages, which general are rooted in only one of these families.

Over time, it has absorbed words from cultures worldwide due firstly to the British travelling to other countries, forming an empire that acted as a great linguistic melting pot, and later on from other peoples coming to settle in Britain.

In addition we now have the variety of contributions to English from former parts of the empire such as America, Canada an Australia, all of whom have enriched the language immeasurably.

This is why English is the richest language on earth, and is well on the way to becoming the standard language of earth.

Expatbrit

• picosito
    picosito

Great comment, Expatbrit!!

• Prisca
    Prisca

That's just fine, picosito, BUT...

can you drink a glass of water whilst standing on your head?

Prisca, Lightening-Up-The-Atmosphere Class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit