"Unscriptural to say a former child abuser could never enjoy exemplary privleges of service." Oh really?

by headisspinning 24 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Notice their concern is with the "notoriety" a pedophile has. . . . BOTR

Yes I did notice that. I also noticed that the letter was exclusively concerned with itself (the Organisation) . . . and the offending brother, and how and when he can be utilised. Not a single mention of the victim(s) . . . who might still be in the same congo.

Or is this a Bible problem as opposed to a religious sect problem? . . . ThomasCov

It can't really be one or the other IMO . . . there are many Bible principles which could be applied to protect vulnerable children. You could blame the Bible . . . but when a cult cherry-picks which scriptural principles it chooses to apply . . . thus exposing vulnerable children to harm . . . I hardly think that's exclusively the Bibles fault.

Can they be faulted for this line of reasoning from a Biblical viewpoint? . . . ThomasCov

Interestingly, . . . there is not a single reference to paedaphilia or similar in the Bible (that I can find) . . . it even encourages the sparing of young girls "who have not been with a man" when conquering God's enemies. Innocence and vulnerability is still referred to however . . .

Proverbs 18:5 (NIV) It is not good to be partial to the wicked and so deprive the innocent of justice.

Proverbs 24:24 (NIV) Whoever says to the guilty, “You are innocent,” will be cursed by peoples and denounced by nations.

James 1:27 (NIV) Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress.

The WTS approach relies on the rigid application of specific texts coupled with a total ignorance of the nature of the problem.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    So it would be up to the elders

Woa, hold on there! So no accountability to the WBT$! I scream: 'GET OUT CLAUSE!!'

talk very frankly to a former child abuser,

''Bad boy. Oh, yeth you are, yeth you are. Vewy vewy naughty. Don't do it again or we'll be vewy upset. Oh yeth we will, we be vewy vewy upset!"

Matthew 12:31 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-11,

'proof texts' that prove nothing to do with Jehovah's Witnesses.

While it is unscriptural to say that a former child abuser could never enjoy exemplary privileges of service in the congregation,

Here we go again, the WBT$ is using what ISN'T in scripture to prove their point.............lawd give me strength!

What I read here is.......'Protect the Paedo!'

• Terry
    Terry

''Matthew 12:31 and I Corinthians 6:9-11, shows it is possible for a person to stop his or
    her wrongful course, repent, and thereafter live in harmony with God's righteous standards. This
    is true of all wrongdoers-s-even a former child abuser.''

Can they be faulted for this line of reasoning from a Biblical viewpoint?

Or is this a Bible problem as opposed to a religious sect problem?

A crooked tree limb might well repent for not being straighter. Where does that get anybody?

What about the "IS" factor? A pedophile, by nature, IS a pedophile.

The utter lack of concern for victims is quite noticeable.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Terry -

The utter lack of concern for victims is quite noticeable.

I couln't agree more.

Now the reputation of the WBT$ on the other hand............................................................................................

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The problem is that the WT, like the Catholic church, 1. views it as a sin, and IGNORES the criminal aspect

and 2. wants to handle embarrassing issues in house.

Thus, a paradise for pedophiles.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Under "extending privileges," the Elders Index references two more recent letters, namely the 3/14/97 and 8/9/10 letters. Does anyone know if either of these two letters changes their position?

• karter
    karter

I had a conversation with an Elder that went like this.

ME: So child abusers are aloud to go from door to door freely?

Elder: Yes in some cercumstances.

Me: So you have decided for the house holder that it's OK for a child abuser to come into their house and start a study with them even if the householder has young children?

If i saw that happen i would be obliged to say something (there is 2 child abusers in my old congro) it's not up to us to decide that it's OK the house holder has that rite.

Elder: No comment.

• manicmama
    manicmama

United States law requires all pedophiles to register as a sex offender. I know of no clause that states after a certain time they are removed from the list. Nuff said.

MM

• Hadit
    Hadit

Headisspinning: Thank you for posting that - could I please also have a scan of the actual letter? Thank you.

The letter is disturbing to say the least. It has many implications - all of which are disastrous to children and adolescents who come into contact with such ones. Most if not all people in a congregation have no idea that these predators are in their midst. The are given the very false illusion of safety among Jehovah's people. The innocent pay the price. Something has to change and it has to change quickly.

My thoughts are with you in regard to the situation with your daughter.

Hadit

• life is to short
    life is to short

manicmama

Yes all pedophiles must register as a sex offender but that law at least in my state only came into affect in 1991. So the brother who's court records said he was a sexual psychopath highly likely to re-offend is not a register sex offender as his crime happened before 1991. Also another sex offender in the hall one of the elders helped him get is level dropped down from a 3 to a 2 the elder wanted it dropped to a 1 but just could not get it that low.

So do not think that the sex offender list is fail proof.

Also JW's are told not to go on the internet and to trust all of their brother's and sister's so if one follows the FDS they would not check the register in the first place.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit