For the board atheists....

by Jack C. 79 Replies latest jw friends

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

He has it. Christ. Love.

Lot's of people had and promoted that before Jesus. Can't really give him credit for that one.

why do YOU look at the OT instead of at CHRIST when determining what God IS? When the bible that points to Christ says LOOK TO CHRIST? Its the same question I ask some christians, who treat the bible the same as you do.

Because the OT is all about God, the NT is all about Jesus. Some called him the Christ, not all. There is zero proof he was the Christ, just a hippie that preached love.

Or maybe you're just making it up because you like it better?

Since the details are lacking, it seems just as plausible as what other people made up.

Christ came to teach what was true from the beginning, but that man had warped and misunderstood and abused due to their own limitations/faults/reasons. Same management. Again, you are disregarding what Christ said to believe parts of the OT - that even the prophets contradict, IN the OT. Why do you do that?

Because Jesus claimed the Law was OK in his book, he didn't come to abolish it. Therefore, women as property was good. Can't get much clearer than that.

You ignored what I wrote, love, and just said the same thing. Why? Did you read what I wrote, think about it, look it up, take a class ,think about it some more, then get back to me?

Do unto others... and love others AS YOURSELF... not to mention the new command... love others AS I HAVE LOVED YOU.

I didn't ignore it at all, I tend to read everything you write, dear :)

And what I think about it is that since he didn't mention and in fact said he was not there to abolish the law...he must have thought it was OK.

Since He also died without recanting his words, his Father, or his treatment of others (including forgiving those who tortured and killed him), then yeah, I guess it was pretty important to him.

Exactly, he never recanted on saying the Law was OK by him. The Law that allowed for slavery, murder and sugjugation of women.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

*edited for weird double post*

• tec
    tec

Twice for emphasis ;)?

I'll get back to you when I get home from work.

Peace,

TAmmy

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

what do you mean by "the bible says to look at christ"? you do know that the bible is just a (not so) random collection of books, right? "the bible" does not say anything. some books of the bible says this, others say that.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Second you are dead wrong in your statement about time dialation/travel. The faster any object travels relative to the earth the faster said object (or person) travels in time. This was postulated by Einstein in the 1920's and proven in the 60's by actual experiment. Your science is wrong. Go back and redo your homework.

OK....

In the theory of relativity, time dilation is an observed difference of elapsed time between two events as measured by observers either moving relative to each other or differently situated from gravitational masses. An accurate clock at rest with respect to one observer may be measured to tick at a different rate when compared to a second observer's own equally accurate clocks. This effect arises not from technical aspects of the clocks nor from the fact that signals need time to propagate, but from the nature of space-time itself.

Well, that was easy. Looks like I was 100% right. And we ALL travel in time in the same direction.

Better luck next time. You fundies and your constant fail at science...

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Twice for emphasis ;)?

I'll get back to you when I get home from work.

Exactly! and anytime is fine, dear, I have to run on a few hours myself.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The Bible was made two centuries after Christ. It is not a complete religious work, as there were many books that were not included (Book of Eve, etc), and some of the books (like Revelations) almost didn't make it in, and some of the books (like Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Revelations) historians show that other people could have authored these books. I used to believe 101% in the Bible, now I hold it with curiosity.

If you think that the Bible is it, and that Jehovah bleessed and moved the people at the 2nd century to correctly make the Bible and it is the word of God....

Let's look at God. God of the Old Testament is supposed to be a perfect diety. He made the Earth, the Universe, us, and alot of beautiful things. He is all knowing. According to the Bible, Adam & Even sinned. God goes on to allow the killings of many, including ordering the killing of children. If God is so all knowing, couldn't he come up with a better solution "to protect "His" people"? The God of the Old Testament is brutal, a lunatic. I wouldn't want Him watching my children!

Let's look at Jesus. He's almost a complete opposite of God. He wants everyone to love thy neighbor, turn the other cheek. Could the 3 Wise Men have been Buddhist monks and taken Christ away to the land of Buddha? THe life and miracles and teachings of Christ and Buddha are very similar. Did Christ really die at the Cross/Stake? Was it a "ghost" that rose and went to see people? Or, did Christ survive and was brought back to the land of Buddha? See my earlier threads, that i'll bump. People survived the cross, and survive it today. See the BBC documentary.

It's not that Christians believe in a God, it's that the God they beleive and force on us is a lunatic. And, the lunatic God of Abraham rubs off on all of them.

Some atheists are militant. I don't like that either. I say, Live and Let Live. If it helps people like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck to believe in a God that kills babies, and that keeps Sarah & Glenn together, so be it.

Skeeter

• Jack C.
    Jack C.

EntirelyPossible: Time dialation = Time travel. You said it wasn't. Hers a paragraph from the same Wiki article you copied and pasted but apparently failed to read.

"Time dialation would make it possible for passengers in a fast moving vehicle to travel further into the future while aging very little, in that their great speed slows down the rate of passage of onboard time. That is, the ships clock (and according to relativity, any human traveling with it) shows less elapsed time than the clocks of observers on earth. For suffeiciently high speeds the effect is dramatic. For example, one year of travel might correspond to ten years at home. Indeed, a constant 1 g acceleration would permit humans to travel through the entire known Universe in one human lifetime. (14) The space travelers could return to Earth billions of years in the future. A scenario based on this idea was presented in the novel Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle."

Like I said, do your homework.

Jack

• tec
    tec

what do you mean by "the bible says to look at christ"? you do know that the bible is just a (not so) random collection of books, right? "the bible" does not say anything. some books of the bible says this, others say that.

I know this. I have said this again and again. But for those people who do think it is ONE, all or nothing, kind of book (believers and non-believers alike)... then those people should take it as a whole, and apply that it says 'go to Christ' to learn the Truth, since Christ is the Truth. If you take the whole book as one, then I do not see how you can come to any other conclusion.

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

Lot's of people had and promoted that before Jesus. Can't really give him credit for that one.

I can and do. Christ was around before any of those civilizations, at the creation of all things. So yeah, I can give Him credit for that one for sure. I just can't prove it to you. But if a person believes in and listens to Christ, then a person (me) believes that He was here at the creation of all.

Because the OT is all about God, the NT is all about Jesus. Some called him the Christ, not all. There is zero proof he was the Christ, just a hippie that preached love.

Okay. But if you dismiss what the NT says about God being as Christ showed Him, then why would you think not dismiss that the OT accurately describes God?

Because Jesus claimed the Law was OK in his book, he didn't come to abolish it. Therefore, women as property was good. Can't get much clearer than that.

But what WAS the law, EP? Everything written in the OT? If everything was right in the written law (as they had it), then why did Christ come to show the Truth?

Because the scribes handled the law falsely; they didn't understand it; they misapplied it; and amendments were made to make allowance for the hardness of the people, or perhaps even the greed of people. In the law that Moses gave the Israelites, men could send their wives away with a certificate of divorce. Christ himself states that MOSES gave them this law because their hearts were hard. But it was not meant to be that way. And that is just one e Xample.

Just because something got written down does NOT mean that it was meant to be that way, or that it was from God, or even that it was from Moses (considering how many scribes there have been between Moses and the oldest manuscripts we have).

Christ didn't own any women, or men. Christ came to serve. As we should. He taught by word and deed. Besides, He is written to have said that He came to fulfill the law. Once something is fulfilled, isn't it usually finished? The law that remained was of love - everything else flows naturally from that.

I didn't ignore it at all, I tend to read everything you write, dear :)

You do? Well... thanks :)

And what I think about it is that since he didn't mention and in fact said he was not there to abolish the law...he must have thought it was OK.

See above.

Peace to you,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit