Atheists going to hell...who said this was true?

by trailerfitter 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Perry
    Perry
    But for academic purposes---if such a god existed--all powerful, all loving, forgiving, merciful--I think he would find a more appropriate "punishment" than eternal suffering. He could do anything- no limits.

Dear NC,

All things are "suffering" unless God intervenes. This is the second law of thermal dynamics. All things are in a state of decay. However, God and ONLY God, being the author and source of LIFE, can intervene. Suffering is the default reality due to a lack of intervention by God. The confessions of our mouth is what moves the hand of God in our destiny.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Rom.10:10

God gives both the believer and the unbeliever what they ask for. What could possibly be more fair than that?

• designs
    designs

Did the Indigenous peoples of the Americas, Africa and Asia ask to have their Homes taken and be slaughtered by the Christians? hmmm

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Prove it Perry.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

You just got through accusing this God you claim doesn't exist of all sorts of evil things. Does that seem rational to you? But that is besides the point

Of course it's not rational. I was arguing in your context---as I said---it was an academic exercise. Sort of like debating over Hamlet or Luke Skywalker. These aren't real people, but a mythology builds around them and gets debated in context.

I then pointed out that this god was very human, and made by humans, put in place to validate brutal behavior.

NC

• garyneal
    garyneal

NC, your reasons for going to the witnesses remind me of my mother-in-law and her mom. I remember my wife telling me that her grandmother requested that she would not be cremated upon her death. The reason, "She did not want to have to burn twice." Here we have a church going woman who believed that she was going to Hell. Her daughter, my wife's mom, later commented at one of her meetings concerning the reason why she likes the witnesses. Her reason, "She really liked it a lot when she found out that there was no such thing as Hellfire." I was able to put the two together and figure out what drew her to the witnesses religion (that and their 'squeaky clean' appearances).

Anyhow, I can understand what it felt like to be in constant fear that you were not doing enough and was going to burn in Hell for all eternity. Strange, but when I was an IFB, I remember being taught two different things simultaneously. On the one hand, salvation was a free gift and you could in no way lose it, on the other hand if I wasn't attending church regurlarly and soul winning then my status as a Christian would come into question. In other words, I may not truly be a Christian after all if I still lived like the world and if I was not a Christian, I was not saved and in danger of Hellfire.

I broke free of that with my Christian faith intact when I met and became involved with a Christian group at college. When I saw REAL people in the faith it helped me realize that I no longer had to fear Hell. Of course, according to my wife, "Faith without works is dead."

• garyneal
    garyneal
    Sort of like debating over Hamlet or Luke Skywalker. These aren't real people, but a mythology builds around them and gets debated in context.

Off topic, but this reminds me of the scenarios I would dream up concerning the people of the V series trying to invade Earth of the 24th century (ala Star Trek). Would the V get a foot hold in their civilization? The 24th century Star Trek humans would be far more powerful than the reptiles from Sirius in my opinion.

DianaSoldiers

Picard

Phaser

Battle

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Would the V get a foot hold in their civilization? The 24th century Star Trek humans would be far more powerful than the reptiles from Sirius in my opinion.

LOL Gary. This kind of thinking led me to write quite a bit of fanfiction. What would Bones do??? That kind of thing.

Now I'm going back up to read your longer post. It looks like something that will touch me.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Yeah, that hellfire teaching robs so many of any peace or joy, AND YET believing it is supposed to give comfort and happiness. I never could wrap my mind, and more importantly, my heart around it. I could never find comfort in people suffering. Call me weak.

NC

• designs
    designs

NC-

God's gotta prove he's god ya know....

• garyneal
    garyneal
    I never could wrap my mind, and more importantly, my heart around it. I could never find comfort in people suffering.

I suspect that gives cognitive dissonance to a lot of Christians. It is not enough to be a good person, you must also learn about and accept Christ. This is suppose to spur people into evangelizing but so many people will be born equally convinced that Allah is the only true God and all worshippers of Christ are destined for Hell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit