WBTS and 9/11

by african GB Member 14 Replies latest jw friends

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

I was'nt that well informed at the time of the event, what I'd like to know is how the org responded to the tragedy.They must have had a filled day. It would also be interesting to see the statistics in the 2002 Yearbook. Perhaps some people believed JW's at the time due to fear and frustration, or maybe even some disillusioned JW/apostates, DF'd, DA'd,...went to KH immidiately afterwards.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

There has been some reports of some folks bringing their green bibles and pink songbooks to the KH after 9/11. Did anybody here see that in the KH?

• fade_away
    fade_away

I saw a number increase in assistance for a few months after. Some people I hadn't seen in years showed up. I remember thinking "oh NOW you're scared. Wait until Armageddon...it'll be ten thousand times worse.".....You know, the usual twisted JW mindset.

• fade_away
    fade_away

Here's a Jan 2002 AWAKE article on what the organization did.

The Day the Twin Towers Collapsed

THE events of September 11, 2001, in New York City, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania will be indelibly impressed on the minds of millions, if not billions, of the world’s inhabitants. Where were you when you saw or heard the news of the attack on the World Trade Center in New York and on the Pentagon in Washington?

That incredibly swift destruction of so much property and, far more important, of so many lives has given mankind reason to pause and reflect.

What have we learned about our priorities and our choices in life? How did those tragic events bring to the fore some of the better qualities of our humanity—self-sacrifice, compassion, endurance, and unselfishness? This article and the one following will try to answer the latter question.

Survivors Tell Their Stories

Immediately following the disaster in New York, the subway system closed down, and multitudes of people exited lower Manhattan on foot—many of them crossing the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges. They could clearly see the office and factory buildings of the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Some refugees from the disaster soon headed toward those buildings.

Alisha (at right), the daughter of a Witness, was among the first to arrive. She was covered with dust and ash. She explained: “While I was on the train heading to work, I could see smoke coming from the World Trade Center. When I arrived at the disaster area, there was glass on the ground everywhere, and I could feel the heat. People were running in every direction, while the police were trying to evacuate the area. It looked like a war zone.

“I ran into a nearby building for shelter. Then I heard the explosion as the second plane hit the south tower. The scene was indescribable, with black smoke everywhere. We were told to move out of the danger zone. I was put on a ferry crossing the East River to Brooklyn. When I got to the other side, I looked up and saw a large sign, ‘WATCHTOWER.’ The headquarters of my mother’s religion! I immediately made my way to the office building. I knew that I could not be in better hands. I was able to get cleaned up and then call my parents.”

Wendell (at right) was a doorman at the Marriott Hotel located between the two towers. He explained: “I was on duty in the lobby when the first explosion occurred. I saw debris falling all around. I looked across the street, and there was a man in flames lying on the ground. I tore off my jacket and shirt and ran over to try to put out the flames. Another passerby joined in to help. All the clothes burned off the man except for his socks and shoes. Then the firemen came and took him to get medical help.

“Shortly after that, Bryant Gumbel of CBS TV news called on the phone to get an eyewitness account of what was happening. My family in the Virgin Islands heard it on their TV and, as a result, knew that I was alive.”

Donald, a hefty six-foot-five-inch [195 cm] employee at the World Financial Center, was on the 31st floor of his building, looking straight across at the Twin Towers and the Marriott Hotel. He said: “I was dumbstruck and horrified by what I saw. People were falling and jumping out of the north tower windows. I became hysterical and ran out of my building as fast as I could.”

Another experience was that of a mother in her 60’s and her two daughters in their 40’s. Ruth and her sister Joni were staying with their mother, Janice, at a hotel near the Twin Towers. Ruth, a registered nurse, tells the story: “I was in the shower. My mother and sister suddenly shouted for me to get out of the shower. We were on the 16th floor, and they could see debris falling past the window. My mother actually saw a man’s body fly over a nearby roof as if he had been ejected from somewhere.

“I dressed quickly, and we started down the stairs. There was a lot of screaming. We exited onto the street. We heard explosions and saw sparks of fire. We were ordered to rush south to Battery Park, where the Staten Island Ferry is located. On the way, we lost contact with Mother, who has chronic asthma. How would she survive in all this smoke, ash, and dust? We spent half an hour looking for her but without success. However, we were not too worried at first because she is very capable and self-possessed.

“Eventually, we were directed to walk to the Brooklyn Bridge and cross to the other side. Imagine our relief as we got to the Brooklyn side of the bridge and saw the huge sign ‘WATCHTOWER’! We knew we were safe.

“We were given a welcome and accommodations. We were also supplied with clothes, since we had nothing. But where was Mother? We spent all night vainly trying to trace her at hospitals. About half past eleven the next morning, we received a message. Mother was downstairs in the lobby! What had happened to her?”

Janice, the mother, continues the account: “When we rushed out of the hotel, I was concerned about an elderly friend, who had been unable to leave with us. I wanted to return and carry her out myself. But it was too dangerous. In the commotion I got separated from my daughters. However, I was not too concerned, as they are levelheaded and Ruth is a qualified nurse.

“Everywhere I looked, people needed help—especially children and babies. I helped as many as I could. I went to the triage area, where the victims were being sorted and treated according to the severity of their injuries. I helped out by washing the hands and faces of the policemen and firemen, who were caked with soot and dust. I stayed until about three in the morning. Then I took the last ferry to Staten Island. I thought that perhaps my daughters had sought refuge over there. But I didn’t find them.

“In the morning I tried to get the first ferry back to Manhattan, but I couldn’t get on because I was not an emergency worker. Then I saw one of the policemen whom I had helped. I called out: ‘John! I need to get back to Manhattan.’ He replied: ‘Just come with me.’

“When I arrived in Manhattan, I headed back to the Marriott Hotel. Perhaps there was still a chance to help my elderly friend. No way! The hotel was in ruins. The downtown area was dead—no life in it anywhere. Only haggard policemen and firemen, with tragedy written all over their faces.

“I wended my way over to the Brooklyn Bridge. As I neared the far end, I could see a familiar sign, ‘WATCHTOWER.’ Perhaps I would find my daughters there. Sure enough, they came down to the lobby to greet me. What hugs and tears we shared!

“Amazingly, I did not have a single asthma attack, in spite of all the smoke, dust, and ash. I kept praying, for I wanted to be useful, not a burden.”

“There’s Nowhere to Land!”

Rachel, a woman in her early 20’s, told an Awake! writer: “I was walking down my block in lower Manhattan when I heard the noise of a plane overhead. It was so loud that it made me look up. I couldn’t believe it—there was this huge jetliner obviously on a descending path. I wondered why it was flying so low and so fast. There’s nowhere to land! Maybe the pilot had lost control. Then I heard a woman screaming, ‘That plane just hit the building!’ A huge fireball burst out of the north tower. I saw a giant black hole in the tower.

“It was the most horrible thing I’ve ever seen in my life. It didn’t seem real. I just stood there with my mouth open. Within a short time, the second tower was hit by another plane, and eventually both towers collapsed. I became hysterical. It was more than I could take!”

“If I Have to Swim, I’ll Swim”

Denise, aged 16, had just arrived at her school next to the American Stock Exchange, which is located three blocks south of the World Trade Center. “It was just after 9:00 a.m. I knew that something had happened, but I didn’t know what. I was on the 11th floor of the school, attending history class. All the students looked petrified. The teacher still wanted us to take a test. We wanted to get out and go home.

“Then the building shook as the second plane impacted the south tower. But we still did not know what had happened. Suddenly I heard on the teacher’s walkie-talkie: ‘Two planes have hit the Twin Towers!’ I thought to myself, ‘It is not logical to stay put. This is terrorism, and the Stock Exchange will be next.’ So we got out.

“We raced down to Battery Park. I turned around to look at what was happening. I could see that the south tower was going to collapse. Then I thought that there would be a domino effect, with all the high buildings collapsing. I was struggling to breathe, as my nose and throat were clogged with ash and dust. I raced for the East River, thinking, ‘If I have to swim, I’ll swim.’ As I fled, I prayed to Jehovah to save me.

“Eventually, I was put on a ferry to New Jersey. It took more than five hours for my mother to find me, but at least I was safe!”

“Is This My Last Day of Life?”

Joshua, aged 28, from Princeton, New Jersey, was teaching a class on the 40th floor of the north tower. He recalls: “All of a sudden, it felt like a bomb had exploded. There were tremors, and then I thought, ‘No, it was an earthquake.’ I looked outside, and it was unbelievable—smoke and debris were swirling around the building. I said to the class, ‘Everybody, drop your stuff. Let’s go!’

“We headed down the stairs, which were filling up with smoke, and water was coming out of the sprinklers. But there was no panic. I kept praying that we had chosen the right stairwell so that we wouldn’t come face-to-face with the fire.

“As I was running down the stairs, I thought, ‘Is this my last day of life?’ I kept praying to Jehovah, and I felt a strange feeling of peace. I have never experienced that kind of inner peace. I will never forget that moment.

“When we finally came out of the building, the police were moving everyone along. I looked up at the towers and saw that both buildings had been sliced open. It was surreal.

“Then I heard an eerie sound—an uncanny silence as if thousands of people were holding their breath. It seemed as if New York stood still. This was followed by screaming. The south tower was collapsing on itself! A tidal wave of smoke, ash, and dust was hurtling toward us. It was like special effects out of a movie. But this was real. As the cloud caught up with us, we could hardly breathe.

“I made it to the Manhattan Bridge, where I turned and saw the north tower with its huge TV antenna go crashing down. As I crossed the bridge, I just kept praying that I would reach Bethel, the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I have never been so happy to see that place in my whole life. And there on the factory wall was the big sign that thousands can see each day, ‘Read God’s Word the Holy Bible Daily’! I thought, ‘I’m almost there. Just keep going.’

“As I reflect on those events, they have impressed on me that I really need to have my priorities right—that first things in life should be first.”

“I Saw People Jumping off the Tower”

Jessica, aged 22, saw the events when she got out of a downtown subway station. “I looked up and saw ash, debris, and all kinds of pieces of metal coming down. People were waiting to use pay phones and were getting more and more hysterical because of the delays. I prayed for calmness. Then another explosion. Steel and glass were falling out of the sky. I heard shouts, ‘It was another plane!’

“I looked up, and it was horrible to see—people jumping from the upper floors where the smoke and flames were billowing out. I can still see it before my eyes—a man together with a woman. They were holding onto a window for a while. Then they had to let go, and they fell and fell and fell. The sight was unbearable.

“Eventually, I got to the Brooklyn Bridge, where I took off my uncomfortable shoes and ran to the Brooklyn side of the river. I walked into the Watchtower office building, where I was immediately helped to calm down.

“That night, at home, I read in Awake! of August 22, 2001, the series ‘Coping With Post-traumatic Stress.’ How badly I needed that information!”

The enormity of the disaster moved people to help in whatever way they could. The following article explains that part of the story.

[Footnote]

• Free!!
    Free!!

I remember this article, and i also remember it came out like 2-3 months after the attacks.... i remember how i kept asking myself, how come everyone keeps acting like nothing happened?..... meetings on schedule, same crap they tought every week... nothing different..... while the world was mourning...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Hey AGBM, how's it going? Long time no see.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I saw what seemed like a look of joy in JW's eyes as they said things like "Armageddon is going to be thousands of times worse" and "Those were just a few buildings, imagine when it's entire cities being destroyed". Sick, sick people.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

So JWs who had to cross into Brooklyn stopped by the HQ. Nowhere does it say that nonWitnesses received aid. I am waiting for the portion where the factory workers with certain skills joined the rescue and recovery efforts at the site.

Thousands streamed past my apartment building. It seemed to be a modern Exodus. My mom offered shelter to many people. Others did the same. People opened their homes to Katrina victims. Reading the WT/Awake, one would think they were the only people helping anyone. Elsewhere, people risked their own lives, died, and spent countless months and years helping.

Whenever I read Witness lit, and I try to avoid reading it, the writing style drives me nuts. It is not natural. I wonder if they have a style manual for creepy writing. To be fair, though, I read Mennonite tracts doing my laundry. They sound very similar.They only present news items as a chance to turn the wholle drama over to a weird Witness interpretation.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Yes. Wasn't any member at Bethel that day, or near Bethel? I'd like to hear if they evacuated. My interest is much more in how the GB dealt with it internally, not what the stilted writing of Awake says. Certainly, someone here was there that day. It could reveal so much.

How much was the donation to the Red Cross or Robin Hood Fund? They have all the available housing. What shelter did they provide to the thousands who were stranded and could not get home? In the East Village,my neighborhood, people brought water pitchers down and offered food. Almost everyone made their apartments available for a rest before starting home again or a several days' stay? People had to walk six or seven hours to get home.

One of my peak life moments was showing up for my first day as a lawyer with a major law firm in the WTC area. Unkown to me, the library had massive windows that looked DOWN on Bethel and the time sign. I thought I was in heaven. So they had great seats to see people jump from the WTC towers.

Jesus said to Love one another as I have loved you.

• ssn587
    ssn587

The WTBTS idea of love, is love only for the GB, first of all, God second, Jesus somewhere at the end of the list just above the R&F. I never heard a darned word of how if any help they provided the hundres of people who passed by the HQ. Haven't ever heard anything, and those stories in the Awame are probably BS made to make WTBTS look good, but it just goes to show they didn't take in the 100's of others who my or may not have needed a place to rest, eat, even if for just an hour or so. Nope never heard one word about how they helped them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit