Stressful Session with Uber-Zealous Parents--The Mermaid needs a hug!

by Cadellin 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

What something means to me and what it means to a JW are two very different things.

Franklin: Yes, this became clearer the longer I talked to them. They prioritize information differently. At one point, after I had pointed out the dishonest quote used in the CReation brochure, my father said, "Yes, but it still points to the truth about creation!" That response underscored for me the difference b/w using ideology to shape your world view vs. using facts. Idealogy in the JW world takes precedence--the Bible is the a priori inspired Word of God--and therefore material, measurable phenomenon (facts, we could say) are valuable only to the extent they serve such ideology. Beyond that they have no purpose or, what's worse, are outrightly denied as false and from Satan. The Truth is the ultimate and only truth and therefore, any use of measurable facts to support that truth--or that can be made to look like it supports that truth--is acceptable because Truth is being promoted. Chilling, really.

Of course, we all, JW or not, use ideology to shape our views. But when a person is under the thrall of a cult, it's just more pronounced, more entrenched and inflexible, more resistant to examination.

Scully, your point aligns with the foregoing as well. Of course they wouldn't suggest that! That's because the Catholic Church doesn't have the Truth. And JWs do, silly!

Mickey Mouse: I feel for you right back--be aware that such a response will be opening a potentially very stressful and painful conversation, depending on how close you and she are. How are you going to tell her?

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Cadellin said: "That response underscored for me the difference b/w using ideology to shape your world view vs. using facts. Idealogy in the JW world takes precedence--the Bible is the a priori inspired Word of God--and therefore material, measurable phenomenon (facts, we could say) are valuable only to the extent they serve such ideology." You might find this interesting.. www.csicop.org/si/show/why_bad_beliefs_dont_die

• He man Witness
    He man Witness

"locking all my doubts in a room and just carrying on with Jehovah's organization, being part of the brotherhood and enjoying all the good things that the spiritual paradise offers."

Mermaid: It is why WT a cult. The members just see what they want to see. In other asociations exist good and bad things, but supposedly this is "The nation of God", there is not place for lies.

They just judge with 2 differents measures: If something happend in the Babilonic Religion - Oh my God! It's prove that religion is maleffic; but, if the same thing also occurs in the people of God, -it is not so bad, -the things just happen, -forget this things, -Even the worst JW its better person that any one who believe in the babilonic religion.

Hugs from México.

(sorry for bad english)

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi ((((((((((((Cadellin)))))))))))))), Have you read Steve Hassan's books? You probably have, but it might help to reread them again to brush up talking with your father when he is in cult mode. Also, I would recommend learning about using mirroring, validating, and empathizing techniques to discover how to unlock your parent's emotions. If you want to learn more about mirroring, validating, and empathizing, please read chapter 9 in “Getting the Love You Want – A Guide for Couples” by Harville Hendrix.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Cadellin, you have a pm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit