What age should you get baptized?

by newcomer1982 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• journey-on
    journey-on

In any other religion, I would say "no big deal" as to the age.

However, with Jehovah's Witnesses, baptism is more of a contract and a signing away your right to think and choose for yourself. I was baptised at the age of 12, but it was in the good old days before the WTS included that little phrase that locked you into their cult organized religion. My baptism was in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Therefore, since their conditions of baptism have all the ramifications of a contract, you should be at least 18, imo. And, regardless of what others have said about legal recourse, I think you would definitely have a case against them, but would have to find a very very brave and savvy attorney that is able to think outside the box.

Times are changing, and it's time someone stood up for children that make promises or enter a "contract" that they may not have the ability to keep. Losing their entire family for such a mistake is unconscionable.

In my own family, my brother (who was child baptised) got abandoned and shunned by some family members when he got df'd at the age of 17. It devastated him. Another family member raised in it by uber theocratic parents but never baptised (although coerced) is still included in family fun and is shown love and respect.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A person should understand that this is a commitment, and a 6 year old cannot do that. Also, a person should understand every one of the rules and fully understand what's expected out of them. This cannot happen if one is kept in the dark about the organization's rules until they are baptized.

To compare: I could understand what was expected on this forum before I joined because the rules were stated in their entirety on the "Sign up" page. And less is expected here than in the Kingdumb Hell.

You can easily find out what is expected out of you to become a citizen of another country without much work. Even while still in the United Tyranny of America, even without having taken the first physical step toward that direction, even before committing myself. Just looking at immigration rules of countries you may be interested in moving to sometime in the future (which are available online) gives you an idea of what's required--such as whether you need to learn another language, what the laws are, and what the benefits are at what levels. Which is more than I can say about the Washtowel--which will ruin your whole life if, after agreeing without knowing the rules, you break one of them.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Children thinking about baptism, should at least be given some caveats to consider. These should be read right after the baptismal instructions and questions. They should be told (and perhaps be given some examples) of what can happen later should they change their minds or should they break the rules required by the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses.

For instance:

"Little Robbie, even though you're only 9 yrs. old, do you understand that if you succumb to a brief period of rebelliousness around the age of 15 or 16 and display an attitude unbecoming a Christian, you can and will be disfellowshipped and your mother, father, sisters, brothers, friends, grandparents, and any other Jehovah's Witness will have to treat you like a leper. If you are a bit older and out on your own already, they will treat you with bitter disdain, shame you, and possibly make you totally invisible to them."

Little Robbie: "What does 'succumb' mean? What is a leper? What is disdain? Oooh! Invisible?!!...like a super power?" Children.

• White Dove
    White Dove

See, Journey-on, a child that age wouldn't even understand the concept of rebeliousness at a future time in their lives.

Their level of maturity isn't at the point of considering the future.

They are all about the here and now.

15 and 16? That's old to a 9 year old.

It's almost criminal what they are doing with children in that organization.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    It's almost criminal what they are doing with children in that organization.

I totally agree. That's why I think there might be some legal recourse due to the severe ramifications should the child later break the "contract" as it is laid out with language that binds them to the organization.

Also, they love to point to the example of Jesus discoursing in the temple at the age of twelve as proof that young children have the ability to be dedicated. The thing is, he didn't get baptized till the age of 30 and even then, he did not have to dedicate himself to an organized religion.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

It's ILLEGAL to enter a binding contract with a minor. This CORPORATION does just that, but is protected under the umbella of religious freedom.

It's ILLEGAL for a minor to marry, make most on-line purchases, obtain a credit card, go on a field trip, receive medical treatment, skydive, bungee jump, rent a vehicle or stay outdoors past certain hours without WRITTEN CONSENT or SUPERVISION from a parent or guardian.

It should be ILLEGAL for any minor to commit to any religion, group, club or association until they're 18 or 16 with parental consent, especially when they stand to lose if they change their mind later.

How many of us made a decision when we were 7-15 that we still agree with or are bound to? Still have the same boyfriend/girlfriend? Still have the same favorite movie? Favorite food? Future goals? People CHANGE. Adults are at least aware of the ramifications when they enter an agreement. It's ridiculous!

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Even the KKK doesn't allow anyone under 18 to join. No, I'm not a member. Some racist punk who rode my bus in 8th grade was pissed that he couldn't join yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit