What age should you get baptized?

by newcomer1982 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cinciguy74
    Cinciguy74

If you aren't old enough to enter a marriage with another person, how can you possibly be old enough to make another life commitment?

As the WTS likes to phase it "Beyond the Bloom of Youth". I know I will be facing the same issue with my oldest son, as he is getting pressure from my wife and brothers in the hall, but I am going to put my foot down on it. I am sure it will be the first real fight my wife and I have over my long gradual fade.

• QuitWastingTIME
    QuitWastingTIME

If i ever get disfellowshipped for any reason I am going to sue, because i was baptized at age 13. I was a minor and I'll argue that I was coerced into making a decision I wouldn't have made as an adult. I'll move to make it invalid and negate the baptism.

• wasblind
    wasblind

In the " Bible Teach " book chapter 18 on page 83 paragraph 24 states:

" Remember too, that you have made a dedication to Jehovah god himself, not to a work, a cause, other humans, or an organization."

In the " Organized to do Jehovah's will" book page 215 shows the baptismal questions

your eye's decieve you not, contrary to the lies ( Theocratic warfare ) in the " Bible teach " book

You're dedication is directely associated to an organization

Punkofnice hit the nail on the head :)

• sizemik
    sizemik

600 . . . same age as Noah when he was "baptised"

It's in the Bible.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Wasblind - Exactamundo! Duplicity in words! From the '05 Borganization book pg 215

CONCLUDING DISCUSSION WITH

BAPTISM CANDIDATES

Baptisms are usually performed at assemblies and conventions of Jehovah’s

Witnesses. At the conclusion of the baptism talk, the speaker will ask the baptism

candidates to stand and answer the following two questions in a loud, clear voice:

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins

and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of

Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

Sizemik -

600 . . . same age as Noah when he was "baptised" It's in the Bible.

Oooh, yeah!!

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

There are 2 separate yearbook examples of children as young as 6 years old getting baptized. Since they are reported there it's no wonder that Watchtower is encouraging near infants to get dunked, all the while criticizing the Catholic church for baptizing infants because they're not old enough to understand.

Worse, it opens the door for early disfellowshipping and all its consequences, family shunning and high rate of suicides.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Is their push for infant baptism to 'up' the falling 'growth' figures they always boast about?

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

For some reason under 6 is too young but 7 & 8 is acceptable. My 8 year old is already getting pressure. My in laws keep trying to get her to befriend a baptized 8 year old.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I'm sorry you are suffering for a decision you made at 14! I was 12, but do not think anyone should get baptized ever!!! but to answer your question at least over 18 but like dontplaceliterature said Jesus was 30.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I am now disfellowshipped, but when I did get baptized I was nearly three months short of my 20th birthday. I certainly agree with those who say that if you aren't old enough to get married, then you certainly aren't old enough to get baptized. As in marriage, you are being asked to make a lifelong committment. That is something no child should be asked to do.

Of course, if I knew then what I know now, I would never have gotten baptized in the first place. This organization can best be described as "counterfeit Christianity" and should not claim the time, energy, and loyalty of anyone. I'm sorry, newcomer1982, that you are suffering the pain of the hateful shunning practice of Jehovah's Witnesses as this has cut you off from family members and close friends. However, if you'll take my advice, you will turn your back on this religion and never return. You're far better off on the outside than inside that cage.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit