When Was Ancient Jerusalem Destroyed? Part Two

by Maze 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Maze
    Maze

An excellent presentation of secular archeology supporting Jerusalem's destruction in 607 B.C.E:

http://download.jw.org/files/media_magazines/wp_E_20111101.pdf

When Was Ancient Jerusalem Destroyed?

PART TWO: WHAT THE CLAY DOCUMENTS REALLY SHOW

Introduction:

The Bible says that the Jewish captives were to be exiled in Babylon “until the seventy years were completed in fulfillment of the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah.”

When were they released? In “the first [regnal] year of Cyrus king of Persia.” (2 Chronicles 36:21, 22, New International Version) Biblical and secular history agree that this exile in Babylon ended after Cyrus conquered Babylon and freed the Jews, who returned to Jerusalem in 537 B.C.E. Since the Bible explicitly says that the exile lasted for 70 years, it must have begun in 607 B.C.E.

However, most scholars date the destruction of Jerusalem at 587 B.C.E. This allows for only a 50-year exile. Why do they conclude that? They base their calculations on ancient cuneiform documents that provide details about Nebuchadnezzar II and his successors. Many of these documents were written by men who lived during or close to the time of Jerusalem’s destruction. But just how sound are the calculations that point to the date 587 B.C.E.? What do these documents really show?

To answer those questions, consider three types of documents that scholars often rely on: (1) The Babylonian chronicles, (2) business tablets, and (3) astronomical tablets.

Conclusion:

Why Trust the Bible?

At present, the majority of secular historians believe that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587 B.C.E. However, the Bible writers Jeremiah and Daniel clearly state that the Jews were in exile for 70 years, not 50 years. (Jeremiah 25:1, 2, 11; 29:10; Daniel 9:2) Those statements strongly indicate that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 B.C.E. As the above evidence shows, that conclusion has some secular support.

Secular experts have repeatedly questioned the Bible’s accuracy. Yet, when more evidence is uncovered, the Bible record has time and again been vindicated. Those who trust the Bible have good reason to do so. They base their opinion on proof that the Bible is historically, scientifically, and prophetically accurate. That evidence leads them to believe the Bible’s claim that it is the inspired Word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16) Why not investigate the evidence for yourself ? You may well come to the same conclusion.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/forum/announcements/211966/1/My-Last-Thread

At the above thread Maze said, "My interest in posting here has deadened lately. This will likely be my last thread. Initially I participated here because I was interested in sharpening my perception against opposing points of view. Jehovah really doesn't recommend the use of channels such as this for such purposes."

So Maze,

CoC

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Maze,

How do you know that the Jews returned in 537 BCE?

How does the WTS get 539 BCE without the Babylonian clay tablets?

2 Chronicles and Josephus say that the 70 years ended with Cyrus. His first year ran from March 538 to March 537, but the WTS ends the 70 years in October 537, during Cyrus' second year.

Doug

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Maze,

Are you aware that the article you say is "an excellent presentation of secular archeology supporting Jerusalem's destruction in 607 B.C.E." was sent to one of the scholars cited in the article? Are you aware that he says the article completely misrepresents his work and the work of other scholars?

See my post 1263
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/215282/5/WT-Nov-1-2011-public-When-Was-Ancient-Jerusalem-Destroyed-Part-2
    for the email from Dr. John M. Steele.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Unfortunate for her Alleymom, Maze will not believe what was received by an "apostate" and then posted on an "apostate website".

She's a sick puppy. Her logic, copy and paste logic, is bonkers. Kudos to you for trying to help her, but it seems hopeless.

CoC

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

I am not an apostate. I have never been one of Jehovah's Witnesses, nor have I ever studied with the JW's.
    My husband used to be on the editorial staff of Biblical Archaeology Review, which is when I became interested in archaeology.

Marjorie Alley

[* Edited to add, he's not an apostate, either. So, Maze, if you would like to PM me, feel free.]

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

@ Alleymom, Whether you were a witness or not doesn't matter to me. And I apologize, I don't feel you are an apostate.

I put it in quotation marks because apologists/skeptics that come here are quick to label those proving the WTS wrong and often discredit truthful info provided by various sources.

I personally think you are awesome and so is your well documented research, at least based on the other thread of part 2 of the WTS's 607 article.

CoC

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

CoC, you certainly don't need to apologize! I wanted to be sure Maze (or anyone else) knows that if they talk to me they are not talking to a an apostate. Of course, there's no getting around it, I am posting on what just might be considered an "apostate website."

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

bookmarked

• Dutch-scientist
    Dutch-scientist

Maze please read again your bible and investigate if you want History. Multiple sources tell us when Jerusalem was destroyed and that this not happend in 607BC.

In the coming period the WTS/JW will find out more and more they telling lies and they cannot defend 607BC and 537BC even 539BC they cannot defend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit