My thoughts about John 16:1-3

by TimothyT 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cantleave
  • paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

Terry, I like you. Your a shoot from the hip kinda guy. I don't always agree with you, and you do bring different perpectives to the table. But, what is real world thinking? Survival of the fittest, concore and destroy, kill or be killed, keeping up with the jones, getting over on someone, shall I go on? Terry we all have different realitys in life. Your keepin it real in the real world and I as a christian am keepin it real in my biblical world. peaceTerry paulnotsaul

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

I like both perspectives! I think you are both very cool and see life in a very pragmatic way. I think its good to consider how to live, but we mustnt forget TO live.

I have moved on from JW land, but i still enjoy researching about them as it helps me to put my beliefs into perspective. I understand belief and spirituality are very complex and personal things, but when i research the bible which i thoroughly enjoy, it gives me a sense of satisfaction, and as it says in Matthew 5, it helps me to fulfill my spiritual need, and also helps me to improve my own personal qualities.

Im not too sure whether what i have believed as a JW needs to be totaly abandoned though, perhaps just refined. Although im no longer a part of the JW's i still feel something in Christianity and im going to continue exploring and applying it, because i genuinly feel it is a good thing. I think perhaps we should view the bible as a guide, instead of viewing it as an extreme rule book like the JWs do.

Thanks.

Timmy xxx

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, I like you. Your a shoot from the hip kinda guy. I don't always agree with you, and you do bring different perpectives to the table. But, what is real world thinking? Survival of the fittest, concore and destroy, kill or be killed, keeping up with the jones, getting over on someone, shall I go on? Terry we all have different realitys in life. Your keepin it real in the real world and I as a christian am keepin it real in my biblical world.

I appreciate your point of view.

I view myself, personally, as a Godaholic. It is an addiction that has been unhealthy to me and my family.

The net balance at the end of my 64th year shows a huge deficit directly attributable to following "bible" truths.

Passive belief won't hurt anybody.

I was ACTIVE in my applications, however.

Now, it can be argued it was the wrong "interpretation" at fault and not the Bible itself. Okay, isn't that the same cop-out the Governing Body uses when their crazy dates end up producing NOTHING? "We're only human".

When I step back and view the last two thousand years of pretty smart people following God or the Bible or whatnot--the blowback is very impressive

in a negative way and very little of any practicle good in a positive way, imho.

Sir Isaac Newton had some really lunatic End Times computations for all his brilliance. The bible did him in. Ruined his brain.

William Miller seems to me to be an honest, hard working, intelligent, god-fearing man and a war hero. He was very sober and careful about his bible reading and computations. For all his devotion and faith and modesty he produced what? THE GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT and launched ten thousand lunatics into making speculations, Charts of the Ages, Dispensational codes, and our own Pastor Russell!

The bible does them all in!!

It takes good people and wrings them out into a puddle of sap.

I think there is a really really good reason for this. The Bible is a FALSE PREMISE.

False premises lead to FALSE CONCLUSIONS and isn't that what history shows as the result of all those wacky theological arguments?

There is nothing divine in that artificially constructed anthology of anonymous writings purported to be God whispering in our ear.

The Catholic Church completely dominated human thinking and daily life for one thousand five hundred years until Martin Luther.

Luther twisted the Magisterium of the Church into Sola Scriptura (all you need is Bible +Holy Spirit) and Truth is yours!

The result? Thousands of differing denominations pointing a skeptical and damning finger at each other!!

BIBLE RESULTS are the best proof of the false premise of the divine origin of its contents.

How many megalomaniacs squeeze poor trusting people with homespun craziness using the Bible as the chief tool of torture?

Here are BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS of lovely, wonderful, god-fearing bible believing people.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Well i cant argue with you there Terry! I think what you are pointing out is very true!

Can I ask you, do you think a BALANCED view of spirituality and the bible is a good thing?

Perhaps the reason why all those men were done in by the bible is because they took it far too seriously?

I want to be a Christian and i honest heartedly want to please God, but i have seen what extremists can do!

Good post Terry.

Timmy xxx

• Chalam
    Chalam

I find it quite poignant that the first thing i read is something that relates directly to me at the moment, and how my being thrown out of this religion could have affected my own spirituality.

Get to know the Holy Spirit! If you think back in the past you might discover it likely He has been talking to you for quite some time :)

John 10

English Standard Version (ESV)

I Am the Good Shepherd

1 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. 2 But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. 5 A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers." 6 This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.

7 So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd.I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.

Psalm 95:1-8

English Standard Version (ESV)

Let Us Sing Songs of Praise

1 Oh come, let us sing to the LORD;
    let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!
    2 Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving;
    let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!
    3 For the LORD is a great God,
    and a great King above all gods.
    4 In his hand are the depths of the earth;
    the heights of the mountains are his also.
    5 The sea is his, for he made it,
    and his hands formed the dry land.

6 Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
    let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker!
    7 For he is our God,
    and we are the people of his pasture,
    and the sheep of his hand.
    Today, if you hear his voice,
    8 do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah,
    as on the day at Massah in the wilderness,

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit