watchtower saying that apostates are mentally ill?

by worried 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• worried
    worried

Hi

I remember reading posts about a newer watchtower study edition, telling that apostates (or people plainly leaving the truth) were mentally ill. Can anyone tell me what edition that was? I have searched through the forums for the last half hour, and either am i terrible at searching, or they have all vanished.. *poof!*

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

It's in the July 15th, 2011 WT study edition. You can download it at http://www.jw.org/index.html?option=QrYQCsVrGZNT

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

To be fair I was mentally ill for a while when I took the red pill.

It's a pretty big mind f***

• blondie
    blondie

It might be worth checking what the original Greek meant. Here are some other translations of 1 Timothy 6:3,4:

Keep on teaching these things and giving these exhortations. 3 If any man teaches other doctrine and does not assent to healthful words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, nor to the teaching that accords with godly devotion, 4 he is puffed up [with pride], not understanding anything, but being mentally diseased over questionings and debates 5 violent disputes about trifles on the part of men corrupted in mind and despoiled of the truth, thinking that godly devotion is a means of gain.

1 Timothy 6:2-4

New International Version (NIV)

3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 they are conceited and understand nothing. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions

The Message (MSG)

2-5 These are the things I want you to teach and preach. If you have leaders there who teach otherwise, who refuse the solid words of our Master Jesus and this godly instruction, tag them for what they are: ignorant windbags who infect the air with germs of envy, controversy, bad-mouthing, suspicious rumors. Eventually there's an epidemic of backstabbing, and truth is but a distant memory. They think religion is a way to make a fast buck.

New King James Version (NKJV)

3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, 4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions,

Amplified Bible (AMP)

3 But if anyone teaches otherwise and does not [a] assent to the sound and wholesome messages of our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and the teaching which is in agreement with godliness (piety toward God), 4 He is puffed up with pride and stupefied with conceit, [although he is] woefully ignorant. He has a [b] morbid fondness for controversy and disputes and strife about words, which result in (produce) envy and jealousy, quarrels and dissension, abuse and insults and slander, and base suspicions,

Footnotes:

1. 1 Timothy 6:3 Marvin Vincent, Word Studies.
    2. 1 Timothy 6:4 Joseph Thayer, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament.
  • Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

Hasn't the Watchtower also printed info that some of the Anointed might be mentally ill?

• blondie
    blondie

That some people who CLAIM to be might be, assuming that the diagnosis was made by a qualified professional. If not made by a physician, then just about any jw could be labeled mentally ill by their fellow jws, especially if they don't like them to start with. But now that the number of those partaking are zooming to new heights and may be younger people, they might be adjusting that slur.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am so glad that more and more are partaking. It kicks the elitism hard. When I was active, anyone who looked at the emblems too long who was not over 80 was a big scandal. 144,000 is a very elastic concept for a fundamentalist.

Paul likely did not write Timothy. We could claim Timothy's legitimacy and turn it against the Witnesses. They are obsessed, unwilling to acknowledge truth. I know that since I was born-in, they have a legitimacy, however fleeting, that they do not deserve.

The winners write history, not the losers. It is funny that Christ said to love one another yet whenever I read history of any period of Christianity, all hell is breaking lose. Orthodoxy is claimed by all. There is no sign from God which is truly orthodox. It becomes a political judgment.

I would love a psychiatric challenge as to who is mentally ill. Recall how many "witches" were burned at the stake during the Middle Ages and even into American colonial period, such as at Salem. Salem was triggered more by land disputes than the young girls playing with a West Indian servant/slave.

The mentally ill diatribe is interesting b/c I was taught that no doctor was worse than a psychiatrist. They sap your will and whoosh you are an automoton doing Satanic activities.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Unfortunately, there are some on this site who hypocritically engage in the same kind of conduct, accusing those who don't think like them... agree with them... or believe as they do... of being mentally ill in some form or another. Happens here all the time. I used to think it was WTBTS "baggage." I've come to the conclusion, however, that a lot of people are merely the same outside the Borg... as they were inside. They've just changed their "targets" (although, it still consists primarily of anyone who professes to be anointed...)

Peace...

A slave of Christ,

SA

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Unfortunately, there are some on this site who hypocritically engage in the same kind of conduct, accusing those who don't think like them... agree with them... or believe as they do... of being mentally ill in some form or another.

Sometimes this is deserved.

Take a look at the mess that was made of the "makeweight" thread over the weekend, for example.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Funny..

The WBT$ claims Apostates are Mentally ill..

The WBT$ also claims..The Annointed are mentally ill..

If the WBT$ is correct

Everyone connected to Watchtower World is Nuts..

...................... ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit