I'm drowning in emails. Please help me out and reply to this email that I recvd through my website. Thanks

by AndersonsInfo 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I would commend reading the gospels and/or Paul's letters by yourself as you would read any book. Witnesses jump around the Bible. A verse here, a verse there. The Bible is so large that anyone can "prove" anything by selectively choosing scripture. When I first read it as a book, Mark, in one sitting, I realized most of what I thought were Bible truths were not Bible truths.

I recommend reading it without any study guides to sway your belief. What do you think? What is the author's point? My viewpoint is that the Witnesses greatly distort the scriptures for their own cult purposes. Your view is important, however.

If you decide to continue your study, ask your questions from your plain reading, not the printed ones at the bottom of the page. Ask the study conduct to answer your questions. You probably will find the conductor has no answers once the format the Witnesses use is not followed.

You should be the judge of whether this is truth, let alone the truth.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I would commend reading the gospels and/or Paul's letters by yourself as you would read any book. Witnesses jump around the Bible. A verse here, a verse there. The Bible is so large that anyone can "prove" anything by selectively choosing scripture. When I first read it as a book, Mark, in one sitting, I realized most of what I thought were Bible truths were not Bible truths.

I recommend reading it without any study guides to sway your belief. What do you think? What is the author's point? My viewpoint is that the Witnesses greatly distort the scriptures for their own cult purposes. Your view is important, however.

If you decide to continue your study, ask your questions from your plain reading, not the printed ones at the bottom of the page. Ask the study conduct to answer your questions. You probably will find the conductor has no answers once the format the Witnesses use is not followed.

You should be the judge of whether this is truth, let alone the truth.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi Barb,

The following essay link is designed for newly interested ones. It exposes Watchtower by revealing the single most outrageous series of Watchtower contradictions that most of us have ever seen. It does it from their own publications. It does it without discussing any doctrines, which, as you know is like talking to your cat.

If that person is willing to take the 9 minutes it takes to read it, there's a good chance that the study will be postponed -- even canceled. Good luck.

Len

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

A big thank you posters for taking the time to write such heartfelt responses to the person who wrote the email that I shared. There's lots of food for thought to use to make up a reply or perhaps use one complete post as a reply. Each post is excellent and I'll save all of them for future use. It's refreshing to read the way each of you would reply if the email had been sent to you. Not only are the emails getting to be more than one person can deal with, it gets to a point that I get so tired of my own words! I'm so glad I asked.

And Len, the site you recommended that I point people to is excellent and fits my needs in this matter perfectly. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Barbara

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I would recommend to any interested ones that they subscribe to & keep up with 'Blondie's Comments You Will Not Hear' weekly review of the Watchtower Study.

That will cure anyone who thinks he's leaning toward joining the JW ranks!

• JW GoneBad
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Barbara, for a real education I would also advise that they read your life story and firsthand past dealings with the WTBTS.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Dear Interested One,

Your interest in spiritual things is admirable. No doubt you see Jehovah's Witnesses as possessing a great deal of Bible knowledge. However, before continuing with your study, it would be wise to study the history of this religion, from its early beginnings in the late 1800s until now. One of the most direct ways to do this is to find copies of their literature that is now out of print. You can then compare what you read there with how Witnesses describe their own history. Does it seem like they are trying to conceal uncomfortable facts about themselves? Use your own judgment.

It would be particularly helpful to read Steve Hassan's book, 'Combatting Cult Mind Control'. He does not mention Jehovah's Witnesses in the text of his book (though he does mention them in the appendix section); but he does provide a few questions to ask of any religious group that wants you to study with them. One of the most important questions is: are you permitted to read literature that is critical of your beliefs? Or perhaps: Name three things you don't like about your religion and/or its leadership [on earth]. Lastly, how do they treat people who wish to leave the religion? The answers will reveal a great deal about what kind of group this is. Be careful to listen for omission of details or evasive responses--these are warning signs that the persons answering your questions are unconsciously misleading you in an effort to present their religion in as positive a light as possible.

'Crisis of Conscience' by the late Raymond Franz is one of the best eyewitness testimonies of an insider who was at the very top of this religion and witnessed some rather disturbing realities unfold. If you read no other book, read this one.

My own personal experience is that Jehovah's Witnesses are well-meaning, but very zealous for their rules and protocols. They are also generally distrustful of outsiders but will feign interest in you so long as you seem interested in joining the religion. If you criticize their beliefs, you will note how quickly their appearance of love and kindness grows cold. It's nothing personal, but they have been trained to resist any critical questions about their beliefs. Other than that, they are no more or less honorable than any other group, with its imperfections and frailties.

Studying the Bible is challenging, but it would be better to do so safely and cautiously on your own than to be misled by well-intentioned individuals. Use your own personal judgment above all others in making your decisions. Objectivity is key to unraveling the true face of this or any religion.

Wishing you the best,

sd-7

• Fernando
    Fernando

www.godhatesreligion.org.au

compare with

only article on "legalism" on WT CD probably written by Ray Franz (ISOCF):

g79 6/8 pp. 27-28 Why the Emphasis on Christian Freedom?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit