But, isn't it a "Wicked System of Things?"

by PenelopePaige 28 Replies latest social current

• ziddina
    ziddina

Cpt Kirk, I think that it's another example of people who've been persuaded to act against their own interests, and the cognitive dissonance kicks in as the mind struggles to allow that realization to surface.

Like the Jehovah's Witnesses - and more than one other fundie Christian group, too...

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Zid, you're absolutely right about the 'robber baron' culture. It's happening all over again - nothing new, but when will we learn from history?

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Also, Penelope - what 'morals' are you referring to? If you're using the bible as a moral compass, then you can't pick and choose - the bible's morals are all over the place. Adultery is bad (but not always), slavery is ok (but sometimes it's not), rape is bad (unless god sanctions it), murder is bad (unless it's awesome). I could go on and on. Society is evolving to allow personal freedoms that don't harm others and this takes time and yes, a lot of people don't get it right but that doesn't mean it's bad on the whole.

• unshackled
    unshackled

I don't feel things have necessarliy become worse. May seem that way due to rapid population increase and the blitz from media's obsession with the negative. If it bleeds, it leads.

A lot of things have improved. Only 100 years ago (in the US)…
    - Avg. life expectancy was 47
    - Only 14% of homes had a bathtub
    - Third highest cause of death was diarrhea
    - Insulin, and antibiotics hadn't been discovered yet
    - Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school
    - 18% of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic
    - Women couldn't vote
    - And...*gasps*….canned beer hadn't been invented yet.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

And...*gasps*….canned beer hadn't been invented yet.

Thank the FSM we had whisky.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

"By clever and persevering use of propaganda even heaven can be represented as hell to the people, and conversely the most wretched life as paradise." —A DOLF H ITLER, M EIN K AMPF.

• d
    d

This time period is much better then say 1970's or the 1800's.

• FadeToGrey
    FadeToGrey

Do any JW's read the history books. I dont think so. Because they are to busy on JW treadmill, of meetings, feild service and all the other stuff they have to do.

If they start to read some of mankinds history they would see, its always been like this.

One has to open ones eyes to this JW Bullshit of the end of the system of things.

We are not going to see a god ordained armageddon period.

it's all a bloody lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

When I look back at my family history I see well off landowners and businessmen having what we think are large families, like at least eight kids, just to have a couple that reach marriageable age to continue the family. One of my family names nearly disappeared in the 1300s. After 300 years of breeding, the events of the 14th century whittled the family down to one individual with that sirname.

Times are not as tough and evil as fundies make out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit