Your Tips on Packing and Shipping China, Glass, Collectibles.

by compound complex 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I had to move to the curb, while new carpeting was installed. The breakables went into brand new boxes. They are expensive. Next, I wrapped in copious amounts of bubble wrap. I had to keep purchasing new boxes and bubblewrap b/c I underestimate the usage. I believe that I spent as much on supplies as on the moving company. My ankle is handicapped from a slip and fall so I could not move many things I could before the accident.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Good packaging is a must--the more fragile your stuff is, the more important it is. Cushioning isn't too important for durables (silver and gold bouillon, clothing, books and CDs that are tightly packed, and things like that). But, if you have things like glass Christmas ornaments, fine china, crystal ware, and fragile electronics, you definitely need to make sure it can stand up to a bang'em or two without busting what's in it. Also, making sure your stuff doesn't get abused in the first place is probably better--the most delicate glass ware will survive if it never gets impacted.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Band:

Sorry about your ankle; been there, incapacitated.

Thanks for the point on copious amounts of bubble wrap/boxes. We always underestimate our specific needs in this area.

Gratefully,

CoCo Has Packed and Left the Building

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, WTWizard:

Sounds as though you know precisely where I'm headed on this gig. It's a major to-do. Your advice is valuable and much appreciated.

Gratefully,

Compound-Complex, as is the job

• chickpea
    chickpea

with a 100% rating on ebay, having shipped crystal stemware and china,
    i concur wholeheartedly with the idea of double boxing and ample wrapping
    of EACH INDIVIDUAL item, and cushioning within the box with the items,
    and around said box when placed in a second larger box... and mark it
    fragile on all six box faces, incl top and bottom.... and insure!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Excellent, Chickpea!

Thank you for the confirmation. This is the best way to go!

Gratefully,

CoCo Boxed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit