Another Question, if I May...

by AGuest 21 Replies latest jw friends

• watersprout
    watersprout

All of the above!

Plus for me (Peace to you shel!) success is about loving and appreciated who ''you'' are... It has nothing to do with careers, money, possesions or family... People can have all those things and still feel unfulfilled and empty... Thats because we need to ''nourish'' ourselves... Sucess is about getting to know, love and accept who that person is on the inside... Once we learn to love and accept ourselves then everything else falls into place.

And then and only then do we find true Success.

Sizemik that quote is beautiful, i'm robbing it to put on my fridge!

Peace

• AGuest
    AGuest

Greetings and peace to you all, and thank you ALL for your comments/responses! I agree with them all, as well. Your responses, however, raised another question for me. I thought about starting a new thread, but decided to just continue the discussion here. It's a compound question:

What gives/brings YOU peace of mind... and should that, whatever it is, be accepted/tolerated by all others (so long as it does not cause others harm, either directly or indirectly, of course)?

Again, peace to you, and I look forward to your comments.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• watersprout
    watersprout
    What gives/brings YOU peace of mind... and should that, whatever it is, be accepted/tolerated by all others (so long as it does not cause others harm, either directly or indirectly, of course)?

Hmmmm what gives me peace of mind?? Well I suppose it's knowing that I am not purposely hurting another human or animal... That I am doing all I can to make a difference, no matter how small... I also think that as long as it does NOT cause any harm to humans/animals then maybe it should be accepted. As long as your beliefs, no matter how wacky (believe me mine are wacky) are respected by others and that you do not force them on other people then everyone should try to ''tolerate'' that person.

I have had many a person force there ''meat eating'' upon me. *sigh* I don't care what people do as long as it's not forced upon me. Sorry off tangent there lol

My penny's worth.

Peace

• isojourn
    isojourn
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

This sounds like success to me...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I have two degrees, one in Business and one in Mech.Engineering and working towards one in Theology ( if I decide to finish it).

Have my own business, a 2000 SQft house, after over 30 years in the Martial arts I have BB degrees in Judo, Kyokushin and a great deal of experience in TCMA like Kung Kuen and even in Boxing and Muay Thai.

I have an amazing and beautiful wife and two amazing girls that have blessed me in ways I could never give enough thanks for.

None of that defines success for me.

What DOES define success for me is LOVING them with all my heart and being grateful for ALL I have.

When my girls tell me that love me, I feel like a successful father, when my wife tells me she loves me I feel like a successful husband.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    When my girls tell me that love me, I feel like a successful father, when my wife tells me she loves me I feel like a successful husband.

Does that not bring you/contribute to [your] peace of mind, dear P (the greatest of love and peace to you!)? I know that, along with one or two other things (including, as dear WS - peace to you, too, dear one! - stated, knowing that I'm not harming anyone/anything, to the best of my ability)... receiving such from my husband and children... and my handful and a half of very dear friends... does for me. For me, it is primary and, when it all shakes down, all that REALLY matters. Well, the affection of my puppies, helps, too - LOLOL!

Thank you both for your responses (and you, too, dear isojourn, and peace to you, as well)!

YOUR servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Does that not bring you/contribute to [your] peace of mind, dear P (the greatest of love and peace to you!)?

Love to you as always Shel :)

Yes, it does.

It makes me feel good to know that I am making others happy and that they feel how m uch love I have for them.

It makes me feel complete.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Wow well I guess my answer won't be as good as everyone above... I agree with "Peace of Mind", Love given and received, etc.

What is Success for me? Very good question. I remember two years ago when I was laid off from my job, quit college because of that job might I add, disfellowshipped and feeling lost and hopeless, I had an interview and they asked me what were my acheivements and goals... in the lines of success. I was really stumped to reply and answer... I just said well I findly found a really good guy who wants to marry me and my goal is to be a good wife, find a job to support our lives together. Ha Lame and I know that wasn't quite the right answer they were looking for. Ever since then I pondered that same question... Why am I good enough for anything? What has my life come too? Where do I go from here? I felt to low to succeed at anything! My goals were shot to the ground. And I needed to find new ones... but I had to tackle a "Peace of mind" as you called it. I felt like a falure and a sinner. At the time living with a boyfriend. Sin. No job. Loser. No fulfilled education to back me up. Dumb.

I started from scratch.

Come to me again with that question. :) I found success when I pulled myself out of that gutter. Saw hope and reached for it. Never gave up on me and found "Peace of Mind" that it was ok to help me and forgive me. I found the strength to put effort in reaching goals I made for myself and found a job, Went back to school, and Had supportive and loving people in my life to tell me how proud they were of me. In the end I felt successful.

I couldn't have found success though if it wasn't for help of kind hearted people that at the time didn't really know me to long, I couldn't have found success if I didn't make an effort, and I couldn't have found success if I didn't look back and gave appressiation and reconition to myself and others.

And what makes it more exciting is my success continues... I'm a mother of a beautiful baby son... so far I feel the success coming when he is able to tell me he loves me. If so... He gives me the biggest smile every morning when I see him. And my husband kisses me and says goodbye before living for work. And comes home to ask me how my day was and what a wonderful mother and wife, I am.

Just like many of you I find that my daily work gives me daily success. Small and simple as it may be it make me happy.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Success for me is independance and family. I'm self employed and make my own schedule which affords me time to do things at my own pace. For my family, leaving the WTS was a big step. My childhood was marred by religous limitations so my goal is to break the cycle and give my children the chances I didn't have available.

In all, I could die tomorrow and my only regret would be missing being a part of my family's life for longer. I am quite content otherwise.

• tec
    tec

If my children grow into men who care about other people, and treat them with kindness and compassion, then I suppose I will feel like a success - as a mother anyway. If they have peace themselves, as well. If they grow into the opposite, then no matter what I do, it will be tainted by what I failed to do with my own children.

Yes, all of this contributes to peace of mind and spirit. So this peace of mind/spirit is probably the highest level of success a person could hope to attain to. In fact, I think it is. It is just what we think will give us that peace of mind/spirit that differs between us.

Peace to you Shelby,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit