God help those who help themselves

by mankkeli 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The reason for the starvation in Africa is not because of the lack of handwringing of Westerners, but because of the African leaders who refuse to allow that aid to get to the ones who need it most. The leaders are evil and corrupt, and rule their countrymen with rifles and the threat of rape and death. Not even a threat, they just do it. Until the leaders change their outlook, or the countrymen rise up against their leaders, the unrest and starvation will continue.

• blondie
    blondie

God helps those who help themselves" is probably the most often quoted phrase that is not found in the Bible. This saying is usually attributed to Ben Franklin, quoted in Poor Richard's Almanac in 1757. In actuality, it originated from Algernon Sydney in 1698 in an article titled Discourses Concerning Government.

• tec
    tec

LV101 - I know how hopeless it looks. The problem is that our decisions in life, as a species, have allowed things to progress to this state. There are so many different ways we could have gone but didn't. At this point, I can only see us doing our part, giving if we can. Some give a lot, some give very little, some give nothing.

BP is right though, about governments that refuse to allow the aid in, or horde it for their own purposes. I don't really know what can be done about that. What would be best is if each country/nation was independent and able to provide for themselves. With whatever resources they have, selling/trading/or keeping for themselves. I think we're working toward that. But people are suffering in the meantime. IMO, the people are suffering because the powers that be (or have been) didn't care to think about the little people when they made their decisions for trade and power.

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

God help those who help themselves - That statement sounds as if God is imaginary, Ever thought of it?

Oh, and to answer the OP... yes, it does make God sound imaginary.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit