God help those who help themselves

by mankkeli 13 Replies latest jw friends

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

God help those who help themselves - That statement sounds as if God is imaginary, Ever thought of it?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

"God helps those that elp themselves

and those who dont are silly elves."

From "Tay bridge Disaster" by William McGonnegall.

• sinis
    sinis

Yes, I do help myself when I help myself!! We are all "gods"... ;)

• tec
    tec

I'm pretty sure that's a man-made statement. (though some of the atheists on board might find that statement ironic)

Seems to me that God helps those who can't help themselves. The poor, the meek, the downtrodden, the hurting.

Peace,

Tammy

• LV101
    LV101

yes, TAMMY, i agree. most have witnessed/experienced God's help to those who can't help themselves. the "christians" i've heard use the phrase weren't poor, downtrodden, hurting and were ignorant of what they were spouting.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    Seems to me that God helps those who can't help themselves. The poor, the meek, the downtrodden, the hurting.

Tell that to the starving Sudanese.

• LV101
    LV101

I have a difficult time believing God helps those hurting/starving myself yet have heard so many testimonies otherwise. Do you think it's man's ineptness/greed and he expects us to take care of. All the money/supplies/aid countries provide and those who are in dire straights never seem to benefit --- so wrong. Just how can those folks help themselves when they're starving/sick. God surely wouldn't allow them to suffer just because ---

• tec
    tec

It would depend on what you mean by helping, wouldn't it?

BP, have you read any of Psac's postings, when he writes about the hope and strength and faith that he saw in people torn and poverty stricken by war? They themselves, have strength and hope in God. They can lean on him. And it is the spirit that counts more than the flesh. If you have everything you physically need, but are miserable, suicidal, depressed... then your flesh doesn't mean anything without peace in spirit. Conversely, there are people who have so little, but who are at peace in their spirits.

As for starving people... there is no need for that to happen at all, but that we, mankind, allow and cause it to happen.

Peace,

Tammy

• LV101
    LV101

tammy --- and it's pathetic that we allow/cause it to happen and have been that ignorant as a society/world. frankly, there aren't enough countries contributing aid and with the crazy, religious, tribes, gov'ts. fighting one another (like africa) it doesn't look positive. strength/hope in God like we can't imagine is needed and maybe this is how they survive e/day but it DOESN'T MEAN THEY AREN'T HUNGRY.

yes there are people who have everything they need and will be miserable until they care/share with those hurting, disadvantaged ones -- widows/orphans and outside of one's family nucleus. i think it's going to take much spirit over the flesh even in U.S. w/the economy so ugly. no comparison to the starving Sudanese, but there's real concern. seems society is sinking to a new low. i know of individuals draining assets to care for the needs of family members/friends here in the land of abundance.

what do you think can be done (other than contributions to organizations aiding the downtrodden but quite difficult for many helping their own these days) --- it's very difficult to alleviate a billion people (every one out of 5/6 people? around the world) from starvation alone although it's our failure for not loving/caring for our neighbors.

• LV101
    LV101

tammy and mankkell ---- didn't mean to get off topic and onto the suffering subject --- sorry. please ignore but the starvation of people adversely affects me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit