Is that your site?
Is that your site?
No that is not my site but I did write the letter this last Winter and posted it here on JWN. It has been sent to Brooklyn several times since. The letter has been used in an email campaign and has been published on several websites. I am happy to see it making the rounds.
I wanted to clearly express the reasons for resigning as an elder in an open forum. I hope that it resonated with others in the same position.
Thanks SIAM. Great letter.
Wow! If I have to (...not that I'd attend) meet with the elders once my husband is served his divorce papers, I'm taking this thought w/me! This is exactly how I feel! I'm not leaving Jehovah, I'm leaving a group of CONTROLLING misfits! I compare it to escaping from FLDS or the Warren Jeffs religion. I don't want to live a debauched life and screw everything walking.
* I just want to live a BETTER, STRESS-FREE life.
* I want the best for my children.
* Everytime I turn around, we can't do this, can't do that, can't look at this, can't look at that. I'M TIRED AND WEARY OF ALL I CAN'T ENJOY
* GET TOGETHER WITH MY NON-BELIEVING FAMILY WHO ARE NORMAL PEOPLE THAT I LOVE, WOULD BE NICE
* attend the wedding or funeral of a dear loved one...in their place of worship
*sleep in on a Saturday morning w/out being bullied to get out of bed when I'm so damned tired from the work week and late homework nights w/the kids
* free to take the kids to the zoo on an early Saturday or Sunday w/out possibly being reprimanded
* attend college w/out being persecuted or being called 'worldly'
* PLAN family vacations and weekend get-a-ways w/out the pressure of being told "NO" by my soon-to-be-ex-husband because EVERY vacation (and too many) takes time away from Jehovah.....
SHALL I GO ON...........
Many JW's do not seem to understand the difference between leaving the organization and leaving God. Leaving the Watchtower is equated with leaving God.
@WOBBLE----- I TOTALLY AGREE W/U!!!!! This needs to be published by way of some talk show, magazine, newspaper article. Just like the Warren Jeffs issue, JWS needs to be put on blast again.
Yes, it's interesting how many people have accused me of "leaving Jehovah". I have tried unsuccessfully to convince them that I am still a Christian and believer in God. But those still under the magick-spell of the GB/WTBTS can't seem to understand that if you leave the organization you can still believe in God.
Lovely letter... I applaud your efforts - Stuck In and Bangalore and others using that letter!!!
Unfortunately, here's the 'fly in the ointment'...
"Members of the Governing Body, I ask you to act as men of principle yourself...."
They aren't, so they won't. As I said, that is most unfortunate.
wobble --- YES/great idea.