2 Food questions,,, one for chefs, one for southern cooks

by talesin 13 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

1. Can I make a roue using half-and-half butter w/ olive oil? I know they have similar properties.

2. I love my swiss chard and beet greens. But I hear collard greens are much more nutritious. I tried to cook them once, and they were too bitter for my liking. I know I'm not cooking them right .... any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm off to bed now.

tal

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

yes you can make roux with butter and oil, or oil alone

buy fresh tender young collards, or braise the collards a long time until they are very tender and the flavor has mellowed.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I like to slow cook my greens in a crockpot. The taste of collards and mustard green kinda mellow out.

• dm6
    dm6

I am a chef :)

9 years behind the apron and proud of it :)

Yes, you can make a roux with olive oil half and half with butter, but i highly reccommend turning your butter into clarified butter, or what the indians would call Ghee.

Simmer a block of butter in a pan and let it simmer for several minutes. Turn the heat off and leave for a few mins. Then with a ladel, take out the clear gold ghee and discard the fat and salt that seperates.

Now that you have clarified butter, you can put this on the heat in a pan to ridiculous temperatures, and the butter will not burn, nor will it boil.

put half in a pan with half olive oil, leave to heat up to a high temperature. Then add your flour and use a maurice (spatchelor) and mix constantly cooking throughout. You will know when it is ready to add the hot milk (in a seperate pan) because the roux you have made will keep cooking to the point that it leaves the sides of the pan and no longer sticks. It will look like a lump of dough in the pan that you can move around almost like a lumpy ball.

That is your roux done. To make a bechamel (white roux) have another pan of hot milk simmering, and add ladel at a time to the roux ball, mixing with your spatchelor until it reaches the stage where it becomes whiskable. continue to add milk whisking until it turns into a thick white sauce.

This is now a bechamel.

You can continue to cook throughout for longer to make a veloute' (blonde roux) pronounced vel-oo-tay.

continue even further to make a brown roux called an espagnol (brown roux) taken from the spanish term veal jus.

Commonly in kitchens bechamels are made worldwide as the most popular as it is a derivative meaning your base bechamel you have made can be used for various sauces, for example: bechamel in a pan add grated cheese and macaroni pasta, thats macaroni cheese.

Another example is, a seafood chowder, thin down the bechamel with homemade fish stock and make the rest yourself.

Hope this helps! lol !!!!!

• dm6
    dm6

in answer to your second question, treat all your food as delicate as the main part. Dont spend most time on perfecting your steak, but quickly chucking your veg in a pan of plain boiling water.

I would steam cook your vegetables with butter and seasoning, and for extra flavour, finish them off in a pan you have already used to cook say your steak or chicken.

I was always taught this as a golden rul ein the kitchen, remember seasoning your food will make ALL the difference beileve me, but always remember, you can add....but you cant take away! so be careful not to over season and keep tasting.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Dm6 should have his own cooking show!

• dm6
    dm6

lol broken promises. I dont think i could muster up the courage to have my face on tv!

But here is some of my work

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1985490917732.2118209.1257044476&l=7f50f4ff07&type=1

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Do you guys have Masterchef in NZ?

And those pics look GOOOOD. Those hotel guys were stupid to take their time in hiring you.

• dm6
    dm6

lol thanks! Yes there is a masterchef here in NZ, and funnily enough my cousin in austrailia is judging the last episode!

He's called Martin Benn and has recently opened his new hotel in OZ called sepia, he got chef of the year too!

Oh how i envyy him! in a good way of course.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I've heard of Sepia. Oooh, now I know someone related to someone who's famous!!

Cooking must be in your family genes. Good luck to you both!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit