What to say when a jw says that all bibles are the same.

by Joey Jo-Jo 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ding
    Ding

I've never heard a dub say that all Bibles are the same.

The ones I know think the NWT is vastly superior to all others.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I've had the line that "the truth can be learned from any translation of the Bible" . . . so it might be a variation on that. In a sense it's an attempt to validate the JW version of Bible interpretation, as being universally indisputable.

Tell him Bibles are like different brands of toilet paper . . . they all perform the same basic function . . . some are just softer and smell better while they're doing it.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

this prompts me to ask? is there any literature by the wb&ts that speaks about the diferences of bibles?

• garyneal
    garyneal

My wife says that. I just point her to Bible Gateway to show her how different they really read.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    I've had the line that "the truth can be learned from any translation of the Bible" . . . so it might be a variation on that. In a sense it's an attempt to validate the JW version of Bible interpretation, as being universally indisputable.

One response could be that the WT use to teach that to read the Bible alone will result in 'spiritual darkness' and the adoption of the beliefs of Christendom.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

When the JWs make remarks like that, they are using weasel talk in order to try and worm their way in. If events were to progress from there and a member of the public agree to accept the offer of a "free home bible study", they would soon find that all bibles are not necessarily the same.

I well remember what happened when my parents agreed to a "free home bible study" with the JWs. The pioneer brother conducting the study handed out New World Translations to everyone involved, saying that he was "tired of hearing the King James Version always being quoted." My mother was not impressed, being quite proud of her KJV bible - which had originally belonged to her grandfather.

Bill.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I had been out about 15 years and stupidly became involved in a discussion with JW relatives. My critique was that the NWT was only one option. To my surprise, they opened a Witness book. Fifteen parallel translations were charted. The KJV, RSV, NEB, etc. They were studying the others to see how much better the NWT was.

It blew my mind. I only knew the reputations from college courses. They were so uneducated formally but worked hard on JW things. Their knowledge was equal to mine. Almost passed out.

No one else know this book - 1980-1990 ish.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Km 9/07p.3 QuestionBox

Does“the faithful and discreet slave” endorse independent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate?—Matt.24:45,

No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the NewWorldTranslation

Copy/paste....Wow! I know how DJEggy and 46545498print465456 feels!!

“Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible. For this reason the Bible cannot be properly understood without Jehovah’s visible organization in mind.”—The Watchtower, October 1, 1967, p. 587

“They say that it is sufficient to read the bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home. But, strangely, through such ‘Bible reading,’ they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom’s clergy were teaching 100 years ago…”The Watchtower, August 15, 1981, pp. 28-29

.......seems to me the watchtower is saying all translations are to be avoided......read the watchtower instead!

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

thanks punkofnice, but they never mention which bible or the changes of each bible I think, I dont recall ever reading anything of that sort, I think it's because this would create seeds of dought. The FDS class says how it's interpreted and understood , after all we are all blinded by satan and can't possible use the brain Jehovah has given us to discern from truth and lies lol, but they dont mention anything about bibles.

The reason why I was a jw was because of my parents, the reason why my mum became a jw was because of my grandma, the reason why my grandma became a jw was because a "sister" proved her that all bibles were the same,so one day doing the home bible study the jw took a number of different bibles, granny bought the lie and it became the truth, but this was in portugal (majority of people from portugal are strong supporters of roman-catholicism so maybe textus receptus is not used there?)

The whole intention of the video was to create seeds, I was not trying to say that the trinity is not supported on the alexandrinus texts because it does support the trinity, but just the simple differences, but jw's knowing the differences of the kjv is news to me, i just have to edit the video a little.

Band on the Run: Yeah, some "wordly" people are more educated on the NWT than jw's themselves like James White.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit