Lifesaving Work

by mankkeli 13 Replies latest jw friends

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

Knowing that we are living deep in the time of the end, we keep focused on the main work of true Christians—preaching and disciple making. (Matthew 24:14; 28:19, 20) Like our Exemplar, Jesus, we want to be intensely occupied with this lifesaving work. How can we show that this work is important to us? The majority of God’s people devote themselves to the preaching work wholeheartedly as congregation publishers. Some have arranged their affairs to serve as pioneers or missionaries. Recognizing the importance of spiritual goals, many parents have encouraged their children to pursue a career in the full-time service. Do zealous Kingdom proclaimers see good for their hard work in the ministry? Indeed, they do! Serving Jehovah whole-souled is the sure way to a life of joy, satisfaction, and countless blessings.

Do you see any sense in referring to the street peddling activity as lifesaving?

• factfinder
    factfinder

You can't be serious.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The first paragraph is obviously a quote from a WTS publication.

The second paragraph is mankkeli's question for us.

I think mankkeli is trying to sort out the garbage that the WTS has been teaching him, vs logical and open-minded thought.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

Portraying field service as an urgent life-saving work has only gone so far. It is just enough of a motivation to guilt burned-out people into dragging themselves out on Saturday to “please Jehovah”. I observed that many Witnesses felt satisfied by putting in an hour of door-to-door on a Saturday morning – and that they had done their duty for the day. They usually had some pressing matter waiting for them at home, such as yard work, or fixing a leaky faucet.

It is a rarity to find a Witness who really truly enjoys field service. This is why the Watchtower leadership must convince the rank & file that they could be found blood guilty if they don’t go out and reach people in service. The whole “lifesaving” theme is enough to convince talented young people to forego a college education and to make Pioneering their “career”.

If Witnesses truly believe that they are engaged in some kind of life saving mission, then it makes having jokes made about them in the media worth it. It also moves the rank & file to push aside the fact that they don’t like what they’re doing, and to keep their nose to the grindstone for Jehovah. What a deal.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

If the WTS truly believe it is a life saving work then why aren't they using the latest technology to get this warning out to as many as possible.

Like the local government do in our area if there is a flood or fire event coming. They send out SMS messages to all mobile (cell) phones registered in the area, they broadcast the warning on tv and radio, they put it on Facebook etc. They certainly don't send workers out to walk the streets handing out bits of paper hoping that those who need the 'lifesaving message' will get it.

Hopscotch

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

People hear about Tsunami Warnings in Japan..

Faster than they hear any of the Crap,the WBT$ has to Peddle..

The WBT$ does a Shit Job getting the Message out..

In what they Consider an Emergency Situation..

................... ...OUTLAW

• noontide
    noontide

Read my two cents on this subject Mankkeli. Hope it helps.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/211621/1/Where-the-need-is-great

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Could it be that the WTBTS doesn't care about saving more people, because they are looking for the easy marks to deceive? JWs drop studies because they are not progressing, so it really doesn't matter about using better communication technnology until the WTBTS figures out more effective thought reform techniques. If the WTBTS used Internet, TV, radio, newspapers, and magizines to advertize in, they would be using communication mediums that they cannot control and they don't want JWs using anyways. The door to door ministry has to advantages: it keeps JWs busy so they have less time to think about what they are doing, and the WTBTS is targeting people with a communication medium that they can control. The leaders of the WTBTS aren't stupid they just have different objectives so their methods seem peculiar.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• Quandry
    Quandry

The majority of God’s people devote themselves to the preaching work wholeheartedly as congregation publishers.

This is a psychological ploy....tell people that "most people" do this or that and they also will want to follow the trend.

I always had to push myself to go out into this "life saving work" believing that I was deficient because I didn't enjoy it, constantly feeling guilty. Now I wish I could have all those days back.

Jeremy C-how good to see your comment-it's been awhile and I've always enjoyed your way with words!

• Open mind
    Open mind

mankkeli, do you have a source for this quote?

It's nice to have very recent quotes showing that it's a "lifesaving work".

Every time the Watchtower spews that phrase, it can be turned around like this:

Me: "Well, according to today's text it sounds like the Slave Class is reinforcing the idea that ONLY JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES will survive Armageddon."

JW relative: "Why do you say that?"

Me: "Well, what does it mean when the Watchtower says that our preaching is a 'Lifesaving Work' ?"

JW relative: "Uh, well, I suppose, (drags toe around in sand), uh, that lives, uh, are being, uh,... saved, you know?"

Me: "If it's a lifesaving work, it means that when Joe Hard-Working Neighbor, husband, father of three, member of the PTA, soccer coach, etc. answers the door and says 'No Thank You' to a JW Bible Study, he's signing a death warrant for himself and his little kids."

JW relative: "No. You're taking that too far. Jehovah is the judge."

Me: "Yes, that's true, but when it comes to people in general, if it's a 'lifesaving' work it means that, IN GENERAL, people who DON'T listen aren't going to survive. Or, do you think that a substantial portion of non-JWs might actually survive Armageddon?"

Then drop it. Seed planting is done for today.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit