Why So Many Young People Are Leaving The Watchtower

by Jeremy C 140 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Great post, the rod of discipline in regards to spankings during a meeting if I misbehaved were thankfully never administered to me by my father elder, he used to get it over early at home before the meetings, plus we got the rod, stick,belt fist, it never was solely the rod.

edit; why did I insert a "we" there, should have have been just "me"

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Why So Many Young People Are Leaving The Watchtower

It's because younger people have access to the flood of information on the internet AND the curiosity to seek it out. Any student considers it standard procedure to Google any and every subject. They read of something in WT publications that contradicts what they are learning at school, so they Google the topic. The WTS is not able to put a halt to this dissemination of information. In the process, the curious subject is flooded with information about every aspect of JWs and the Organization. What started as an innocent search of The Global Flood, or Abiogenesis (word used at Dist Conv), or whatever turns out to be 100s of pages of damning information of false prophecies, scientific inaccuracies, politics and injustices within the Organization, etc etc etc. All exp0eriences that EVERY JW can relate to at one time or another. The WTS can stifle the information available by ceasing the printing of older publications or by stopping any discussion on "Old Lite" and by limiting the association the typical JW has with educated "worldly" people. But they CANNOT stop the internet. That would be like trying to ban television. As usual, they are late in reacting in a reasonable way. As of now, they are still attempting to ban Facebook and "improper" use of the internet. It's like the Dutch boy with his finger in the dike. But now, the whole damn has been breached and the water cannot be held back. THIS FLOOD is for real!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

With the 10 toes NO light and the apparent (weasel word I admit openly), non release of a scheduled book this summer, I wonder if they are frightened to mess around with doctrine now that they'll get critiqued into the ground if they do.

We are in the 'information age' and young people are wise enough to smell a rat......so it's up to them to make a move or not.

• jworld
    jworld

"The Watchtower organization simply has nothing new to offer, and no new ideas."

Doesn't it go back to their world view? If you really believe the end is going to come soon (usually within a couple years or so) there is simply no time/no point for new ideas. In some ways it seems that the leadership as well as the R&F just believe they should tread water until the new system comes and then they can embark on new ideas.

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

Very well written and articulate post. Thank you!

• Open mind
    Open mind

Very nice to see Billzfan23 and Jeremy C posting again.

Excellent post Jeremy.

om

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Gread Thread!

• simon17
    simon17

It’s not hard to figure out why so many JW children are conditioned from an early age to associate drudgery with the meetings and assemblies. There simply isn’t anything designed or built into the programs that work with the attention spans of young children. Many churches offer separate classes, services, or groups for children that are compatible with their maturity level and that get them acclimated to going to church. However, the Watchtower stubbornly sticks to a “one size fits all” program for everyone. How many schools do you know of, that stick preschoolers, high school students, and graduate students all into the same classroom together?

Although one might argue that meetings are aimed at the intelligence level of a child, but the attention span of an adult. Too boring for the average child and too idiotic for the average adult.

• life is to short
    life is to short

"I think it comes down to the fact that this is a "works" based religion. Everyone is working to earn their salvation. Traveling overseers are continuously pushing the Elders to help others earn their salvation. It's like a twisted game from the Middle Ages, where everyone is trying to make it to a finish line, or else get executed if they don't. So, in their minds, they reason: "who has time for a youth group when so many people out there need to be saved from Jehovah's Day of Judgment?"

You could not have said it better then you did here. Thanks again for such a great post.

LITS

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

This is the kind of post that should be sent around to JWs. It hits so close to home for so many. These kind of observations are safe enough for JWs to hear without tripping the cult mindset. It can spark a flow of personal thoughts that are normally supressed.

It’s like a twisted game from the Middle Ages, where everyone is trying to make it to a finish line, or else get executed if they don’t

It's not LIKE that. It IS that. You described it perfectly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit