Is the CD ROM WT library dangerous to our machines?

by hamsterbait 21 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

INCLUDING ANTIVIRUS programs.

I have NEVER seen this message.

Oh, and Norton sucks! I had virus for 2 weeks, with Norton & MacAfee (licensed) installed. I got AVG (licensed, not the free one) and BOOM!~! virus detected.

Plus, you pay $50 for Norton upfront, and an annual renewal fee. AVG is about $150 upfront, and updates are free for 10 years.

t

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

My opinion is that the Watchtower library on CD is too sensitive. It tends to fail working after 2 or 3 months after installation and I never found out why. Maybe it's something I uninstalled, because I tweak my Windows a lot. I never found viruses in it, but it's a pretty unstable program.

• talesin
    talesin

Had another thought (I know, amazing, huh? A thought!)

Maybe they think the r&f doesn't know how to 'allow' the program to get past the firewall?

• castthefirststone
    castthefirststone

I have tested the Watchtower library with a network sniffer to see if it sends out any network traffic and the 2010 version doesn't. Call me paranoid but I wanted to make sure that my privacy wasn't violated by this program and I was happy to see that it didn’t.

As DragothUR eluded the library is very sensitive and breaks a lot. I believe it's related to when you deframent you registry or clean your registry (on Windows 7 as that is what I use). I have noticed that these two activities make the WT library act up and you have to re-install to fix it. I have been too lazy to try to figure out what exactly breaks in the library but I will leave that for the "experts" that wrote the software.

I agree with everyone else's advice, never disable your anti virus software when installing any software. Only if the installation fails then perhaps you can try to disable the anti virus software, but perhaps first try to understand why the installation is failing and what the anti virus software is blocking to prevent a successful installation. Certain anti virus software can be very paranoid and block everything but better safe than sorry is their strategy.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

They won't.. look at what happened to Sony with the whole rootkit controversy. They WT lawyers are smart enough not to allow this.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Is the CD ROM WT library dangerous to our machines?

No, but it IS dangerous to the Watchtower Society when it falls into the hands of opposers, apostates and other 'mentally diseased' ones.

• bohm
    bohm

Watchtower library is NOT a virus. This is fairly standard, at least for a poorly written installer. Also, they couldnt loose the huge lawsuit that followed any quicker even if they called the judges mom a giant skank.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

If there were some kind of tracking software on the CD-rom, I would think someone along the line would have installed it without turning off their antivirus software, which would then pick up the bug and the WT would be nailed.....

They're desperate, but not stupid...well maybe sometimes they're stupid.....

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Watchtower Library is a different kind of virus. Not harmful to your computer, but harmful to your cognitive thinking abilities.

• TD
    TD

The WTLib is completely safe and harmless. (At least to your computer....)

The recommendation to turn off active AV scanning is a little dated but was very common a few years ago. Prior to Vista, second rate products like Norton actually patched the Windows kernal, with potentially unpredictable results, especially during installation when dll's and other components need to be registered. (Boy did they cry like stuck pigs when they realized they had to start over from scratch)

Some AV products today cannot be turned off. Period. (Yes, you can manually stop the services, but they will restart themselves in minutes) Sophos is a good example.

Let's assume just for fun that there was something malicious in the WTLib. Does anyone think that your AV software would protect you from it? Wrong, wrong, wrong......

AV software does monitor for certain, blatant "virus like" behavior, but the protection is still primarily signature based. What this means is that potential malware is either submitted to the AV vendor for examination or they find it themselves using a "honeypot." They examine the code and if it really is malware, they will give it a name and add a signature to the detection database.

The new detection database will go out to consumers on the next scheduled update, unless the malware is unusually dangerous, in which case the reputable AV vendors will do an emergency update. But until that happens, your AV software won't detect it and it will be completely invisible unless you know what to look for. And that's the weakness of signature based detection. It only works with known malware.

Typically, the bad person or persons who created the malware in the first place will now subtly alter it and reintroduce it into the "wild." That's why you get endless variants of the same virus, like Vundo-A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I,...on and on and on. But that is a little risky each time it's done. What is the next logical thing once a piece of malware is discovered? --A search for the guilty party.

Let's assume just for the sake of discussion that you are a virus writer. How do you get your malware into the wild without getting caught? Do you send it in an email to your ex? Bad idea. Do you distribute it on a software CD with your name on it? Terrible idea. Remember that this is illegal. People that get caught are prosecuted. What happened to Jeffry Parson, creator of the Blaster worm? He was caught and convicted of creating it's B variant and sentenced to a prison term.

Jehovah's Witnesses are never going to distrubute malware on their CD. You don't do things that are illegal with that obvious a trail leading back to your front door. --And please nobody start with the, "If you agree to it in the EULA it's legal" nonsense

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit