Church Extends Authority to Absolve Sin of Abortion for Papal Visit

by leavingwt 20 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Church Extends Authority to Absolve Sin of Abortion for Papal Visit

The Vatican has given authority to priests who are in Madrid during the pope’s visit there to give absolution to women who confess to having had an abortion - and has empowered priests to lift excommunications for such women.

Typically, only certain priests have the power to grant absolution for the sin of abortion and to lift excommunications that have resulted from terminated pregnancies, according to a Vatican spokesman.

“All the priests that are administering the sacrament of confession during World Youth Day have the general authority to give absolution from the penalty of excommunication for abortion if someone comes to confession… if someone has this need,” Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi told CNN on Thursday, referring to the event that brought Pope Benedict XVI to Madrid on Thursday for a four-day visit.

Madrid Archbishop Antonio María Rouco Varela announced the extension of such authority to more priests in a statement on the archdiocese's website, saying the move was made in hopes that "all of the faithful who attend the celebrations of the 26th World Youth Day in Madrid can more easily attain the fruits of divine grace, that the doors to a new life open for them."

The church has set up 200 confessional booths in a Madrid park for priests to hear confessions in.

. . .

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/18/authority-to-absolve-sin-of-abortion-extended-for-papal-visit/?hpt=hp_c2

• dgp
    dgp

Only today! Save yourself! Come back into the fold and we'll make believe you never did what we told you not to do!

Restrictions apply.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Whao---first condoms are okay in the interest of preventing disease, and NOW THIS. I bet WT is going to have a field day with this move. They love that. Yet they don't respond so well when outsiders criticize the inworkings of the org. Hmmm.

NC

• sir82
    sir82

New light!

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

LOL..New Light.

I bet it comes from the same place the GB's new light comes from.

• dgp
    dgp

It would be interesting to know what Catholics for Choice has to say.

http://www.catholicsforchoice.org

• Gayle
    Gayle

wow,,how sweet of them,,now after all those years the women, suffered depression,,emotional guilt, suicides?,,okay,, poof,,say a few hail mary's,,now you're good. oh the irony of such power.

same thing,,GB, said no vaccinations,,poof,,okay,,no apology for illnesses, long term damage,,deaths. no transplants,,poof,,okay no apology for damage,short & long term damages, no blood at all to some parts of it is okay,

poof,,,poof,,poof,,,men's power of using god and defining

• wiser
    wiser

The catholic church had no problems with ex communicating women who had abortions but never has a priest who molested girls and boys suffered the same fate. No thank you, this is not the religion for me.

• yesidid
    yesidid
    The catholic church had no problems with ex communicating women who had abortions but never has a priest who molested girls and boys suffered the same fate. No thank you, this is not the religion for me.

Amen and amen.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

What sin? Why only certain priests? What is encouraging is that an raped incest survivor or other pathetic story might be viewed differently than a woman who has sixteen abortions. My mom was very pro-choice. She typed insurance claims. The staff wanted to lock up these multiple abortions women and deny them access to sex while they repented. A woman's health being in danger or sordid circumstances deserve to be treated differently.

I am very shocked to read this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit