Eathquakes and March 22nd Awake

by BluesBrother 23 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

If someone has already noted this, then I apologise, but I have just received the Awake and I could not help but be amazed at the paragraph on page 9 .
    They admit now that U S National Earthquake centre report that large quakes "Fairly constant throughout 20th Century" Furthermore they say

" Note though that the fulfillment of Jesus words (Matt.24.7)does NOT require an increase in the number or power of earthquakes....Distress is measured not by number or how they rate on the Richter scale, but by the effect they have upon people"

Apparently it is all our fault for building in the wrong place.

Is this not a U turn?
    The book "You Can Live Forever..etc page 150. "From 1914 until now there have been many more earthquakes than in any other like period
    in recorded history." with supporting figures to prove it

Question. have the writing committebeen reading the internet and found out that their "Facts" are a load of baloney and they can't fool the readershop any more?

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Hey Jake,

Do you have a problem with it?

• mindfield
    mindfield

Hey Fred,
    Do you?

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Mindfield,

No! Did you find the truth yet?

• mindfield
    mindfield

Fred,

Did you?

• Moxy
    Moxy

yes, it is a u-turn but it is not the first time they have distanced themselves from the ridiculous frequency of earthquakes argument. ill have to check but i think even the Knowledge book avoids this stupidity. needless to say, you wont find a 'whoops. we counted wrong' apology anywhere.

mox

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Have it Mindfield

• mindfield
    mindfield

Good for you, Fred. Good for you.

• JanH
    JanH

They have backed away from the previous position earlier, most notably here:

«In this regard, note what the book Natural Disasters-Acts of God or Acts of Man? has to say: "There is no evidence that the climatological mechanisms associated with droughts, floods and cyclones are changing. And no geologist is claiming that the earth movements associated with earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunami (earthquake waves) are becoming more violent." Similarly, the book Earthshock observes: "The rocks of every continent contain a record of innumerable major and minor geological events, every one of which would be a catastrophic disaster to mankind if they occurred today-and it is scientifically certain that such events will occur again and again in the future." In other words, the earth and its dynamic forces have more or less remained the same throughout the ages. Hence, whether or not some statistics indicate an increase of some forms of geologic or other activity, the earth has not become uncontrollably violent in recent times.» (w93 12/1 p 6)
    «Let us remember that while Jesus' prophecy indicates a climax in man's history as all these events come together in the same generation, they do not require that they be greater in number or magnitude than in any previous generation, even though that might be so.» (g88 4/8 p 4)

Messenger provided an extensive list of quotations in this thread, posted more or less at the same time as yours http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=21475&site=3

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Mindfield,

If you want some truth, then look at the back of you in your picture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit