Do you view the word "Apostate as derogatory"

by mankkeli 27 Replies latest jw friends

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

I just want to know how friends feel about the word "Apostate" when being used to refer to them?, do you feel relegated?.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Thats how they deem to refer to us, its their reality of us.

I dont mind personally, some carry the word like a badge of honour, while others detest it. I guess it depends on your personality type, what happened to you in the JW, and what has happened since you left.....horses for courses.

• blondie
    blondie

Any word can be derogatory depending on the tonal inflection, facial expression of the person using it.

For example,

"boy"

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It's 100% accurate in describing my relationship with the WT organization. I'm a former member and I have rejected their teachings.

I've committed the worst sin possible in the eyes of the WT.

Even if you're a Christian of some variety, you're still an apostate from the Watchtower religion, because you are no longer loyal to them.

Apostasy: Abandonment of a previous loyalty.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apostasy?show=0&t=1313694128

PS: Once you no longer care what a$$holes think about you, life becomes infinitely more rewarding.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

It depends who says it, I guess.

The only person who has ever called me an "apostate" was leavingwt. It didn't bother me, really.

I am still quite loyal to the members of the organization I know. I love most of those people, whether they will always feel that way about me or not. It's the teachings and methods of administrating them that I'm not so sure about. I would not refer to myself as an apostate, even if the term applies in some way. Ex-JW sounds much nicer.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The only person who has ever called me an "apostate" was leavingwt. It didn't bother me, really.

"Some brothers feel as if they CAN partake from the table of Jehovah and from the table of demons. They frequent apostate websites, and even share in criticizing Christ's brothers and worse -- spreading lies and causing dissention. Jehovah sees all things. May we never begin to think that anything less than unwavering loyalty to Jehovah will keep us safe on the Ark of survival, during these last days."

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

The only people that I know today that use the word is the JW's. And they aren't using it as a compliment..it does offend my senses as i know they are taking it out of it's true meaning as I see it...

To me It simply means to leave a religion. They act like you are turning your back on God and his people which it isn't the case. It is the religion/beliefs they teach.

Snoozy

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

Hi mankkeli. I see two different versions of ' Apostate '. The JW version : because you left the ORG. Then the worlds verion: you left the teachings of christ. If a JW calls me one I just laugh. If the world calls me one then I take it seriously. Just my 2. peace paulnotsaul

• cult classic
    cult classic

I've had a couple of family members refer to me as apostate. I gladly accept the title. Not only does it mean that I'm finally awake and alive, it also means that I understand the meaning of the word. JWs can never truly make such statements.

• Glander
    Glander

I think the word "traitor" could be a synonym for "apostate". So, yes, it is a derogatory term. But the use of the word here is in the specific context of the XJW group. It is more of a wink-wink word. As in the lighthearted "apostafest".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit