November 15 WT on jw.org

by Gayle 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

"--High ed: The statement in the study artcle on "Temporary Residents" that says "Vigilant Christians refrain from using the world to the full when it comes to higher education" (or something like that), is about as close to making a rule on higher ed as I've seen. I don't think they could put it any stronger without it actually becoming a rule. I would hazard a guess that the economic downturn globally is sending JWs back to school and parents are probably telling teenagers to go to college right out of high school, given that employment among teens is around 50% in many areas, even here in the US. The GB is cracking down on this, "evidently," yet I would be curious as to what they think the average 18 year old JW fresh out of the hs would actually be able to do for a job??? Oh, that's right--Jehovah will provide. I forgot."

I find this to be perplexing. The borg basically condemns higher education. Yet....even they have to understand that as the years roll on.....it is becoming more and more necessary just to survive. Won't donations drop when 50 years from now....all of their 10,000,000 JWs are dirt poor with no $ to give?

• sd-7
    sd-7

They talked about Abraham's example of leaving his home to become a nomad. But is this the same Abraham who was able to take 300+ SERVANTS to rescue his nephew? Seems to me Abraham was using the world to the full if he could afford that much of a household... Oh yeah, AND he had a girl on the side! What a fine example for us today! Get rich, have a baby's mama that your wife approves of, until her kid starts makin' fun of your wife's kid, and thus imitate Abraham!

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

As early as the second issue of the Watch Tower, in August 1879, Brother Russell stated: “‘Zion’s Watch Tower’ has, we believe, JEHOVAH for its backer, and while this is the case it will never beg nor petition men for support. When He who says: ‘All the gold and silver of the mountains are mine,’ fails to provide necessary funds, we will understand it to be time to suspend the publication.” Consistent with that, there is no begging for money in the literature of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

-Jehovah's Witnesses: Proclaimers of God's Kingdom, page 340 (italics theirs)

• sd-7
    sd-7

Aww, but they're not begging! They're informing true Christians of the many ways they can participate in the "privilege" of giving.

--sd-7

• ziddina
    ziddina

Never mind....

I found it!!!

Zid

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Pretty crazy article on Jehu. He slaughtered apostates and in a similar manner Christian Elders may have to take dramatic and courageous action to protect the congregation.

The irony that escapes them is that once Jehu was on the throne, he pretty much stopped serving Jehovah and followed the traditions of worshipping the golden calves. Once elders are appointed, they dramatically serve Watchtower Corporation and protect its interests.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I found an amusing and telling discrepancy in their little blurb on the "historical" Jehu...

Under "Jehu in Secular History", the magazine states:

"Critics have often questioned whether characters mentioned in the Scriptures actually existed. So is there any extra-Biblical evidence regarding Jehu? ... Jehu was not a direct "son of Omri," but this expression was used to designate successive kings of Israel, likely because of Omri's fame and his building of Israel's capital, Samaria."

Now notice... The archaeological evidence is good enough for them to brag about Jehu actually existing, but when it comes to the FACT that Israel was little more than a subjugated city-state under the heel of the Assyrians, look at how the magazine phrases the rest of the information...

"The Assyrian king's claim regarding the tribute Jehu supposedly paid cannot be corroborated. ..."

Really? Then why should we believe the Assyrians' reference to "Jehu"???

"Even so, he mentions Jehu three times - on a stela, on a statue of Shalmaneser, and in the Assyrian royal annals. These references leave little doubt as to the historical reality of this Bible character."

So, Assyrian King Shalmaneser the Third - and the Assyrian priest/scribes - can be trusted about "Jehu", but couldn't count well enough to keep track of the tribute??!!?

You know why they cast doubt on "Jehu" paying tribute to a heathen king, don't you?

Because they're using "Jehu" as a MANLY example - holding him up for the elders to emulate.

Having little to no power - and being forced to pay high costs of tribute to a heathen Assyrian - emasculates "Jehu"...

LOVE IT!!! 1950 style she devilZid

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

How can they expect much from the assets of jws when they die? After all, the GB demands that all jws should never receive any higher education.

• designs
    designs

Muskrat love......

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Gayle:

This all makes me so sick I can hardly even read about it. It just induces depression. The religion has still got people fooled and eating all this up. I don't think I could even sit through a talk or a study on them asking for money. I would just get up and walk out because I don't have the stomach for it. Not from them after all the damage they have done to people with their anti-education/career policy!

I am aware of them wanting to reach out to find more men because there are too many women in that religion for their liking. Well, I'm not there so there's one less, so that's a good thing - for me anyway. I could never tolerate the garbage I hear about from my JW friends who are still there. I am so glad to be done with it all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit