My wife...

by dontplaceliterature 11 Replies latest jw friends

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

...made an interesting comment last night.

Some of you may know that she is not into digging up dirt on the WTBTS. She realizes that there are some things wrong with the organization, but wishes to just ignore them for the sake of stability and preserving friendships. There's obviously more to it, but in the interest of staying on topic:

We watched the new video together (I had already seen it). The video contains clips relating old methods of "Witnessing" using a radio station, sound cars, and phonographs. I asked my wife why they didn't use mass communication anymore, because it is so affective. She said, "Because people could start recording what they say and use it against them."

DUH! If they were being guided by God, and were merely passing on his will to the people, what would they have to fear!?!?!!?

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Very funny, yesterday I read in the news that in Eve Online (a massively multiplayer online game) there was a ponzi scheme (e.g. Bernie Madoff) and the perpetrator said that it was very important not to advertise the ponzi scheme on forums and websites, but only in local chat channels so that when people responded negatively, there were not a lot of people around to see it and it would not linger.

In other words, the WTS subconsciously knows it is wrong otherwise why would they use these kind of tactics?

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Did she realize what she said?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

A good reminder that DECEPTION is necessary in the cult recruitment process, because 'nobody joins a cult'.

1) YES, we are here to change your religion.

2) YES, you will need to stop having regular, close association with your (existing) friends and loved ones

3) NO, we don't want you to pursue a good education at respectable University

4) NO, we don't think women are equal

Imagine detailing these 'truths' to people at the door on or on radio/television?

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

@leavingwt

4) NO, we don't think women are equal

It was no big deal to broadcast this crap Mad Men style back then. It's the way most people felt, I guess.

@QuestioningEverything

Yes, she does. She's not as blind as some spouses spoken of on this forum. Unfortunately, she's pretty resistant to change, and even though she doesn't agree with everything WTS teaches, she feels comfortable enough to stick with the program for a while, at least.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, I always took that to mean either the Society wanted to avoid legal liability in some way, or that they wanted to avoid giving the impression they were anti-government so as not to get locked up like Rutherford & gang did. A JW would never assume that they wanted to avoid being caught in a lie or something like that, so, no, she doesn't realize what she's saying.

--sd-7

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

dpl, you have a PM

• cattails
    cattails

Your wife is "conscious" but likes to keep up appearences at the KH, me thinks.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Classic DPL!!! If you think about it, back in the day they were all about, "Advertise! Advertise! Advertise!" Radio, billboards, loud speakers, newspapers, even openly debating with other religious denominations!(granted it was other denominations that had splintered from the Bible Students movement)

Check this out, in this day and age of multi and mass media, when a disaster is impending, the goverment and other social causes do what they have to do in order to notify people, evacuate if necessary even by force, give vaccines and immunizations, use public warning broadcast systems that will interrupt whatever is on the television or radio at the time, and they do this because people's lives are that important to them!!!! They even do public broadcast tests, that's right, tests! Right, dead smack in the middle of whatever program you're watching. "This is a test, this is only a test, of the emergency broadcast system. If this were an emergency, yadda yadda yadda..."

Nowadays, the WT approaches more cunningly, by delivering a watered down message that doesn't even include Armageddon, but rather they present a picture of paradise where there will be no problems, but they don't talk about what happens before the paradisaic conditions. No, I guess a Great Tribulation and Armageddon simply isn't that important to forewarn their neighbors. Or maybe its because advertising about an impending Armageddon will leave them looking like Harold Camping? Camping got out his message in a matter of months, and accomplished something the Watchtower hasn't been able to do since the 70's. However, when his message failed, so did his credibility and his physical health probably from all the stress due to disappointment, not to mention all of his disillusioned followers. I'm sure all of that wasn't lost on the Watchtower, neither was their 75" fiasco either.

The reality is, the preaching work of Jehovah's Witnesses, serves no other purpose than busybody work.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

You got it cattails.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit