KINGDOM HALL IN SHANNON NEW ZEALAND LIES TIDY BUT EMPTY?!!

by steve2 35 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

Oi...I'm a kiwi!!! LOL and I'm IN New Zealand.

• steve2
    steve2
    Oi...I'm a kiwi!!! LOL and I'm IN New Zealand.

There are a lot of us kiwis on this forum - I should have known!

• shepherd
    shepherd

"Strange they are keeping the Hall though not using.. someone must be keeping up the maintenance okay."

Yes, probably some pioneer who prefers gardening to knocking doors. They can count the time weeding if it's at the KH. They probably knock a not at home in Foxton first and also when they go home. That way they can count all the travelling time too. :)

• i_drank_the_wine
    i_drank_the_wine

My dad goes to a small town congregation in the "bible belt" country south United States. I haven't been there in years, but when I did visit him there long ago in a different life, they had like 30-35 people for Sunday meetings, and all but 2 couples were over the age of 50. Zero children. All these years later I can't imagine them as having done much to increase membership. I'd bet quite a few of the elderly are dead and gone now too.

This same situation probably exists all over the US and perhaps even moreso in far more secular countries in Europe. Yes, they still are growing their numbers (albeit at a lesser rate than they used to, plus losing lots of members), but this can most probably be credited to growth in developing countries that are religious and perhaps not as advanced as more secular nations.

I hope that I live to see the day that the JW's go kah-put!

• steve2
    steve2
    they had like 30-35 people for Sunday meetings, and all but 2 couples were over the age of 50. Zero children. All these years later I can't imagine them as having done much to increase membership.

This certainly is not unusual in many western countries. Also, among those who attend meetings is usually a good proportion who never - or seldom ever - go out door knocking. Goodness knows that back in their heyday of growth (early to mid-70s) there were enough hangers-on; nowadays I hear that there is a greater number of people who associate with the JWs but who prefer not to progress to baptism. Kind of like in the churches: Lots of nominal attendees. These people were 'hard' enough for the elders to motivate to action in the 70s and 80s - I should imagine that they're even harder to motivate now.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

You can add otorohanga to the list of closures as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit