The Triumph of Failure

by Terry 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past; he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.

Dude, that's profound. I'm gonna have to remember that one, the next time I start contemplating the sheer dystopia that the inevitable Bachmann presidency will bring or something like that, lol.

I too fell for their "we're only human, so we'll make mistakes, but we're chosen by the Almighty himself to lead his people through these dark last days, so you'd better listen to us" spiel. But, after a while it gets to be too much for any thinking person to take. "It's better to die than to take a blood transfusion" (but we might change our mind on this one somewhere down the road). "Don't even plan for college, you young folks living in the year 1969". (oops, lets just bury that one - the light gets brighter, ya know?). "No true christian can accept Alternative Service in lieu of serving in the military" (Hey, we'll sorta vaguely admit in a coded way that that was what we used to teach when we totally reverse position on the issue a few decades down the road. But hey, you men that went to jail back in the day because your Bible Watchtower-trained conscience was telling you this was the only acceptable course - don't you dare murmur or grumble about it. The FDS has received Nu Lite on this issue, case closed). "Shun your kid that everybody knew was gay but got baptized when he was 13 only to come out of the closet a few years later" (years from now the hardcore shunning such as is practiced today may get a serious revision. But, until then, keep up the cruel shunning).

• Terry
    Terry

A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past; he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.

I believe I got that from one of my favorie newspaper columnists back in the 60's named Sydney J. Harris. He said a lot of things that were

pithy and profound.

Cynicism is rife in the Kingdom Halls. It practically overflows like a backed up toilet. You hear it in all the conversations. All of life has an edge to it

thanks to the permanent advance disappointment the Watchtower has injected in to thoughts of the future. Only the destruction of everybody in the world but them will ever make them truly happy!!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Only the destruction of everybody in the world but them will ever make them truly happy!!

Yes its truly a sad and sick social psychological state even more apparent when its considered how its handed out to children.

But the WTS knew how it was going to captivate people's attention by using elements of fear and provocation.

This publishing house had a marketing scheme from its very beginning.

• Terry
    Terry

But the WTS knew how it was going to captivate people's attention by using elements of fear and provocation.

They probably have learned only one thing in their 100+ year history: Try to ignore being dead wrong and change the subject!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit